Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Hello all, just wanted to get some advice here. I'm seriously contemplating ditching my AT&T unlimited data plan for either the 3gb or 6gb plan. Stupid?

I just looked up my data consumption over the last 6 months and I only hit 3gb once. And if I do go over it's just throttled to the next cycle begins. I can save myself almost 50 bucks a month.

The first 5 dollar price spike didn't bother me, but now the unlimited plan is pushing 100 dollars by march. Anyone else finally thinking about downgrading plans??

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Hello all, just wanted to get some advice here. I'm seriously contemplating ditching my AT&T unlimited data plan for either the 3gb or 6gb plan. Stupid?

I just looked up my data consumption over the last 6 months and I only hit 3gb once. And if I do go over it's just throttled to the next cycle begins. I can save myself almost 50 bucks a month.

The first 5 dollar price spike didn't bother me, but now the unlimited plan is pushing 100 dollars by march. Anyone else finally thinking about downgrading plans??
I think you should switch and save money. Makes too much sense as you stated yourself you dont go over 3gb much at all and if you do it just slow down.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I think you should switch and save money. Makes too much sense as you stated yourself you dont go over 3gb much at all and if you do it just slow down.

That's what I'm thinking, I just need some reassurance cause once it's gone it's gone lol

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
2gb is all the data I have on my plan.

It's very rare that I'm without WiFi these days.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I use around 20-30gb a month and even when sprint decides to throttle me it's only during peak times and I don't notice slower speeds around 80% of the time anyways. If you're not using that much data I would seriously suggest changing your plan on AT&T or even Verizon to save the $$$

Reactions: timeconsumer

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
I just gave up my unlimited plan and went to the 3gb mobile share advantage plan. More than likely I'm about to switch to att prepaid though. $40 after autopay enrollment for unlimited talk and text and 4gb sound good to me

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
I unfortunately gave up my plan when I moved overseas... shoulda kept it, if only for nostalgia :)

Ok, back on point... yeah, if you're seeing not the need and it'll save you some bucks, you're making the right move!

Last edited:

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
If it will save you money, it makes good sense to do this, or even change carriers.

Do it, and don't look back. No regrets. More moneys for new iPhones. And other things (Airpods).

Reactions: Applejuiced

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I just did the same. We used maybe 5-6gb max so we just went with the family share program with 10gb. Save about $100 per month! I swore I would NEVER give it up but it was a waste of money for us.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If it will save you money, it makes good sense to do this, or even change carriers.

Do it, and don't look back. No regrets. More moneys for new iPhones. And other things (Airpods).

Well said.
See what makes sense for you.
Changing your plan or even changing your carrier is an option when it comes to what works best for you and saves you money.
You should be loyal to your pocket and not to various carriers IMO.

Reactions: Charadis

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I stayed with Sprint for 15 + plus years (mainly for the unlimited data). With my (at the time) iPhone 6 lease ending January 8, I decided that I had had enough making excuses for myself over the constant page buffering, slow speed, and useless customer service etc. I decided to give up my unlimited data and switch to Verizon. I signed up for the 12 GB for $80 (2 GB bonus each month for life) promotion. That will give me 14 GB a month plus carry over data every other month. Verizon's iOS app, customer service, data speed and coverage has been excellent compared to my experience with Sprint.

If going to a different plan or carrier will save you money, you should do that, in my opinion. Shop around before committing with AT&T again.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011

Switch to Tmobile!! I pay $40 for unlimited everything (granted, I am on a family plan)

If you are in a major city, you should have great coverage. I have no issues anywhere in NYC or NJ

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Switch to Tmobile!! I pay $40 for unlimited everything (granted, I am on a family plan)

If you are in a major city, you should have great coverage. I have no issues anywhere in NYC or NJ

I was a huge proponent of T-Mobile. I still love my plan ($150 4x unlimited everything). The new plans however have me really hesitant to recommend them.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I would shop around but I don't really want to get a new phone until the next iPhone, my launch day 6 plus still works amazingly well. What other options do I have owning an AT&T iPhone? TMo?

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
I would shop around but I don't really want to get a new phone until the next iPhone, my launch day 6 plus still works amazingly well. What other options do I have owning an AT&T iPhone? TMo?

You can always unlock the phone to use it with another carrier.

I'm on the same boat as you, hanging onto my 6+ until the next iPhone, however, mines has been giving me problems as of late. Glitchy screen that causes my phone to freeze, it also randomly drops my coverage and says that it has no sim card installed. Matter a fact this phone is starting to act like a grumpy old lady, I know it's a sign for me to upgrade but I refuse to do it, specially now so late in the game I might as well wait.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

I live in NYC and I had poor coverage with T-mobile in some areas along with sprint. Manhattan Beach t-mobile was really bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.