Crazy Homemade Powerbook movie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by GorillaPaws, Nov 15, 2005.

1. GorillaPaws thread starter macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

2. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Im guessing he put a blue screen on the powerbook lcd and then did the rest in software. Pretty cool though
    Edit:: I didint read the page, so my guess was right, except for him using a green screen not blue, oh well. Very creative though.

3. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

That is freaking awesome. Be even cooler if he turned it upside down, but maybe he'll do that in the "sequel"

Would love to see this done with a 30" cinema display. :D

4. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It was *the* thing about three or four months ago to make photoshopped pics of notebooks with "transparent" screens... Hehehe...nice. This takes it up a notch. :D

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If they had moved the camera and had it work like that or if he had passed his hand behind the screen, I'd be more impressed - as it is, they had a blue or green background and two layers of video. Cool though.

7. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I do love things like that. So simple, so effective. Ahhhhh.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

someone has way too much time on their hands...but it was cool, very thoughtful.. chroma keying is awesome when its done right which is hard to do

9. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

10. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

no offence, thats like me saying "psh in Matrix, all they did was throw a 120 camera and take picture of Keanu on a wire, doing the moves, then slow it down, edit the wires out, frame the pictures and create the rest in 3D"

11. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

IIRC I saw this on Rocketboom last week. Still is pretty cool. I only wish that it was really possible to actually view what is behind a person's laptop like that.

12. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I cant believe anyone thought this would actually be hard to do.

13. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

This is nifty!

I'm WOW'ed, but then again, I'm just a music student who knows nothing about digital video. :eek:

/WOAH!
    //Green... screen?
    ///Wha?
    ////OHhhhh, OK!

14. harveypooka macrumors 65816

It looks pretty good with the PowerBook. And he/she has gone out of their way to publish it online.

15. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I just meant that it is a very short and very easy to do "effect".

the fact people seemed to be "amazed" when they probably just finished watching LOTR, seemd out of place here.

I mean jeez, 2 layers of video.

One layer has nothing on the desk, and is most likely a still image.

second layer is the video of moving the PB to the desk.

now either the screen had a moving MATTE applied to it OR it was filmed with a blue desktop.

So you just tell FCP to "cut out" everything that is BLUE (or greeen, whatever) and WOW it looks transparent because the HOLE you cut out lets you see the still image of the desk under it.

Wow, it took longer to type it out than do.

edit: I just noticed there is a blog statement saying the damn same thing I just did, but I dont agree with why the kid thought he needed "a few minutes" of the desk without the PB on it, that was pointless.

16. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Yeah, but how long it takes to do something isn't usually a measure of how good it is. It looks pretty good in my eyes and (as you say) quite simple to achieve. But hey, simple stuff looks cool. I didn't know how to achieve this effect so I've learned something. Looked complex to me!

17. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

thats how I got to teach my advanced video classes my senior year of college.

I made stuff in 5 seconds that no one, even the teacher, knew how I did. And it was nothing spectacular either. Im not saying im hot shiite but anyone "in the know" (meaning someone who has used FCP for a bit) can see right through (now thats a pun in this case) simple effects like this.

I find myself (as a Fine Arts grad...) always picking apart movies, tv shows and the like to see how they did it. Cuz so many effects we see on tv (commercials especially) take no time to create, its just knowing how.

This effect here is nothing spectacular but has a huge WOW factor, welcome to the world of Digital Media.

18. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Sure. I have a friend who did a bit of studying films and he also found himself critically examining tv and film. In a way it detracts from the actual content...almost (very loosely) like just looking at the grammar or spelling of a piece of writing. I think the balance is in looking at the content, the output and the method of construction. But at the same time, pulling apart something is to find out how it works, what you can change and improve on...it's a learning process. I think I've gone of a topic a little here....

19. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Very NICE!! :D

simple i know... but then the simple things are the most effective.

i've gotta try this now... :D

20. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

21. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Chroma keying can be fun. :) ... funny how many people think it's amazing. If you've done it before you'll notice the green tinge (display and GUI shadows) and the lack of shadows from the Powerbook and the user. :p

peace | neut