Crazy morning! (why you should drive slow)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by GFLPraxis, Jan 14, 2007.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

As I'm going to work this morning, I look up the hill I'm going up and see...this.
    http://www.krem.com/topstories/stories/_krem2_011407_fatal.3d5a9901.html

[​IMG]

I was the first person there and actually opened the back door you see there to pull the two kids out of the back. The girl in the front who almost got crushed had a tire cave in the ceiling and barely miss her face. Her head was bleeding, and I couldn't get the door open.

I'm having the adrenaline crash right now, feel exhausted. Wow. Well, that's one way to start the day :eek:

Miraculously, no one died. There was four people in the Honda, one older man in the pickup.

Remember, people, DRIVE SLOW ON ICE!

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Wow! :eek: thank goodness no one died. You did your good deed of the day! (and boy was it good!) The diver will thank you 'tll the end of days for helping the kids to somewhere safe.

It's good we don't have icy roads in the tropics...

3. paul451 macrumors newbie

It always bemuses me how quickly a traffic accident can happen. Just the one moment of not paying attention can lead to deadly pile ups.

Paul

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And you're not the only person who has to be careful. The other people around you have to drive safely as well. :eek:

5. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

That's probably half there is to learn about driving. Keep an eye out for other drivers!

6. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Indeed. It's strange that monumental events seem to happen in those in-betweens moments to which we give little credence or thought. They can be beautiful, or they can be tragic, but they often take a long while to grasp their gravity.

Thank goodness this one ended in beauty rather than tragedy. Kudos to you, GFLPraxis; your act of civil duty and heroism made my day. Living in Minnesota, I've seen -- and known people who've been lost in -- these sorts of accidents.

7. hana macrumors regular

:eek:

Well, as you can tell from the news, here in So. Cal we're facing record lows and freezing oranges.

This morning when I went for a walk, I saw some running water that had become icy :eek: This is completely unheard of here in the City of Angles (isn't it Dr. Q?) and no one willingly slows down at all.

So I echo GFLPraxis's comment S L O W D O W N !

8. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Thanks, guys. The location this happened on was the city's major road, but it was early in the morning so there was virtually no other cars on the road.

The thing is, at one point it goes uphill, and another road goes underneath. That stretch of the road is essentially a bridge, and thus freezes really fast. The driver of the pickup probably didn't expect all the ice there, as most of the road wasn't as frozen due to all the traffic on it.

I went to the hospital to check up on her about half an hour ago, and she was recently released from the ER and is back home. w00t!

9. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Hondas are pretty darn safe... that's why I got one.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So you tore open the 2 doors to let the youngsters out of the car, and then the next day, you went to the hospital to check on the mother?

"Sir, may I take a photo with you wearing your red cape and blue tights?"

11. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Gonna be expecting a check from Donald Trump any time soon? :p

12. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Just because you have 4- or all-wheel drive, doesn't mean you can stop as quickly. Especially if you drive a 2+ton vehicle.

So are Subarus.
    8 layers of steel in the B-pillar, plus a steel rod.

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

WOW.

That looks like a pic on snopes or something. :eek:

You did a good thing helping them out. Glad to hear everyone is OK. :)

15. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Found some better pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^see what I mean about the tire caving in the roof? The driver's face was right there, she leaned back during the impact and it just missed her, but cut her face and pinned her in the car.

We've had a lot of reports in the last three days in this area. Several people died in accidents, a semi tipped over...people need to slow down.

It's also nice to have a safe car :)

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Mate, you hero!

Wow at the pics too. I've always been against driving fast because of a few accidents in my family being hit by cars. Actually... it sorta went away for 2 decades until my dad got his new Peugeot 807 (the very top model too) smashed up when a car on the moors just drove into him. my dad could see the car coming but couldn't avoid it due to cliffs on either side of the road. thankfully the cars 5 Star NCAP rating came into play. his car was totalled and got arrested for driving whilst on drugs or something, my pops car had massive external damage on the right side but internal was perfect. Built like a friggin tank!

It's bloody pathetic how people drive fast "to get somewhere quickly" then end up causing a potentially fatal accident.