Crazy Safari Bug? Web page shakes violently!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheMac19, Dec 11, 2004.

1. TheMac19 macrumors regular

May 13, 2004
    Okay, doing some research for a paper I wound up on this website:

If I put my cursor over the big link in the middle of the page (the "Quoted From:" link) the whole page shakes in a very shady way....

Does this happen to other people as well? Other browsers? I'm not all that bothered, because I've never enountered it before, but it sure is strange...

for what it's worth, I'm on a new 15" powerbook, with all the bells and whistles and my software is all up to date...
  2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Mine shakes too. Pretty funny, if you ask me.
  3. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    The reason it happens is that the link font size decreases when the mouse is over it, which temporarily makes the page narrower and causes the link to move, so that the mouse is no longer over it. Then it reverts back to the original size, which means the mouse is over it, thus looping until the mouse is moved away. This loop doesn't occur in the other browsers I tested the site in, but that's because they rendered the page differently.
  4. orangejasmine macrumors newbie

Dec 9, 2004
    Speaking of Safari...

I haven't searched the forum to see if there is already an answer for this, but my Safari browser, esp. if my computer starts running slow, will just automatically close, and close all other open Safari pages too. I downloaded the most recent update, and it still does it. And it's just with this browser. Anyone know why or how to fix?
  5. orangejasmine macrumors newbie

Dec 9, 2004
    Crazy Safari Bug

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    there are pages that shake the ENTIRE window-the way your login screen shakes at you when you get your password wrong in panther-because you can write a javascript that sets the x or y coordinate of the user's browser window on their screen- set it to jump to a couple different points in a loop and you can freak some people out. Although the practical usage of it is next to none.
  7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    There is plenty practical usage in that! Why, you can freak some people out! :p

And that happened to me, too. Hehe, kinda funny. Report it to Apple if you want... go to View->Bug and then click on it to report it to Apple. One of the few apps that actually has this feature, but then again, web browsers are more prone to having issues than, say, iTunes...
  8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    It doesn't shake for me if the mouse cursor is still - only when it's moving. I am using Safari 1.2.4 (v125.12) on Mac OS X 10.3.6, and I don't have any hacks installed, for Safari or anything else.
  9. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!

I thought that too at first, then I realized that I was on the wrong link. You have to go to the second link on the page. The one right after "Quoted From:"

If you are doing that, and still getting no shaky, then you are lucky!! :D
  10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Tested link #2 - same behavior as before. Only shakes when I move the mouse.