Crazy teachers

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by virividox, Jun 21, 2004.

1. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Damn, secrw that, I would have taken the box cutter and slash the teachers neck.

I've met a few power hungy teachers, but none come colose to this.

2. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Remember that U.S. teacher who got booted for simply washing some brat's mouth out with soap?

3. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Most people don't realize what teachers go through everyday in their classrooms. Half these kids are little punks, and deserve to have their mouths washed out with soap.

Nobody gives teachers enough credit. They just rag on them when their students fail or are disciplined. While writing an apology in blood was probably a bit excessive, the kid deserved some kind of punishment.

Public education is going down the crapper because nobody wants to raise their own children anymore, and expects for teachers and schools to do it for them. We need to take responsibility for our own children, and not depend on our public institutions to do our jobs.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Well it seems that the US is not the only place with crazy teachers. The teacher is very lucky something worse didn't happen. Giving a teenager a box cutter was just plain stupid. :eek:

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

MIT is readying new technologies that put humans in the center of computing

CAMBRIDGE -- Three years ago, Michael Dertouzos, the high-spirited director of MIT's Laboratory for Computer Science, spelled out his vision of a future in which computers recede into the background as enabling tools. ''I don't want us to be slaves to our machines," he declared. ''I want our machines to serve us."

Dertouzos had launched Project Oxygen in June 2000, convincing six global business partners to pony up $30 million over five years to promote ''pervasive human-centered computing."

But he died suddenly the following summer. Although his lab has since been merged and moved, the Dertouzos vision lives on.

And Project Oxygen -- so named because he believed computers should be as invisible to their users as the air they breathe -- has begun to bear technology fruit.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004/06/21/oxygen_burst/

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I know what you mean when you say half the kids are punk, at my school most kids don't care about their education, how they treat other people, ect. But cutting a students hand with a box cutter is a little bit much.

People sympathize with the teacher cutting the students hand, yet when a student attacks another student with a box cutter we get all big-eyed and shocked. God, where do you people think they learn this kind of stuff?

Instead of putting kids through physical punishment, I think we should put them through physiological punishment. Ex:solitary confinement, or no food for 3 or 4 days.

7. kevin49093 macrumors regular

AMEN BROTHER!

8. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Impressive when you notice that the teacher didn't cut the student, the student did write the apology in the manner requested, the boy and his parents don't want to switch to a different teacher. This whole result wouldn't happen in the US. Such discipline.

9. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

teachers get enough crap when they shouldn't. they do way too much for rotten children, but this is just a blah moment.
    blah.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's all about dishonouring all of your ancestors. It's understandable to fall asleep in class but to further shame your family name by resisting would be terrible. If you truly care about your family name, you act in a respectable manner.

11. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Ok, so you know something about the code. The main point of the 'punishment' would be, that it is not given to those that behave in respaectable manner. Having once dishonored your ancestors to the point of meriting punishment..............

Isn't Japanese culture amazing?

12. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i can respect the fact of not dishonoring the ancestors; but the teacher should have realized a normal apology letter should be sufficient; i mean the medical risks that could arise, tetanus, infection, etc not to mention its self mutilation. i dont care if the teacher was disrespected they should have used better sense with punishing the kid.

13. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

No, infact, it's not. Ever hear of a little known war called World War II? Do you know what the Japanese did during WWII? They killed them self in order to kill 10X as many Americans.

This is one of the reasons why Americans are hated around the world. They are so closed minded.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

At times, it is. I live with my shame every day. I know how it goes far too well.

I also remember a certain professor at Waseda Univ. who invited me to his class. He taught English and had 6 months of experience in NYC in contrast to my 20+ years in the U.S.A. He was extremely intolerant of anything that differed from his experience, so he kept telling me to look things up in the dictionary. Unfortunately, he was a typical instructor in Japan. It didn't matter that people didn't speak from a dictionary in real life, but that's the way he did it, so it was right.

In Japan, it's 95 percent black and white and 5 percent gray. In the U.S.A., it's 95 percent gray and 5 percent black and white. Is there any wonder it's difficult for people to understand those in the other country?

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If writing a note in your own blood was "probably a bit excessive" I'd hate to see what you think is truly excessive.

Lethal

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Would you give a man a foot massage?

17. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Who says Catholics and Jews have a monopoly on guilt. I think I might do well in Japan.

I would say America is closer to 75/25. W is trying to lead a black and white revival. that is one of the reasons why opposition to him is so fierce. He is viewed by the left as evil.

18. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Not a week and a half before this incident, as mentioned at the end of the article in the link, an 11 year old girl murdered her fellow classmate with a box cutter (for making a disparaging comment about her hair) not unlike the one given to the kid to cut himself to write his apology in blood. This murder was very widely reported so both the kid and the teacher would have know this. Also, the teacher was quoted later as saying '*I wanted him to realize the importance of things, but I didn't think he really would write in blood' . The question as to why the kid was sleeping has also been raised. He was not concidered a 'punk'. It sems that the extensive homework and cramming necessary for entrance exams kept the student up late and he didn't seem to be getting enough sleep. The teacher never even asked or concidered any reason :(

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'd like to believe the 75/25 ratio but there are far too many people doing things that they know are wrong, despite their upbringing. That doesn't mean I'm on the right either but when society accepts and even applauds wrongdoing, there's a problem.

20. Makosuke macrumors 603

Personally, although I'd say the teacher's actions are rather disturbing even by strict Japanese school standards (hey, GTO would be proud), I think it's almost as interesting that the teacher apparently just left, and the kid did it entirely on his own.

For one thing, it gives some credence to the argument that the teacher wasn't being serious, but was making a reference to the previous box-cutter murder incident in the same area and expecting the kid to just sit there and feel bad. On the other, it makes me fear for that kid psychologically--I can tell you nobody I know, Japanese or otherwise, would cut their hand and write an apology in blood no matter what a teacher did.

Probably comes from an extremely strict family, which would make sense with him falling asleep--most people too lazy to stay awake in class aren't about to go writing apologies in blood, so it would make sense if he was completely burned out from studying too hard for the entrance exams.

Incidentally, bousozoku, where do you get the whole family honor/ancestor worship thing? I'm not Japanese by birth, but no teenager I've met in the past several years has cared about anything but fashion and money, and the only people that I know with any traditional values left were born before WWII. Not to say the culture isn't brutally strict (if that is deteriorating for both good and bad, particularly among the young), but it's more just a rigid sameness and dicipline rather than much to do with honor.

21. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

It's attitudes like yours which demonstrate close mindedness. And the Islamic Fundamentalists that kill themselves to kill 10X as many others or more.........

Do you understand why they might want to do that? I lived in the Middle East. I would like to think that I understand them (I doubt I ever really could, but I try)

During WWII the Japanese that killed themselves to kill others were doing so for the honor that would come (to their family) from serving their leader in that fashion. Islamic Fundamentalist do so for the promise of heaven from dying fighting a holy war against non-believers.

It's a different culture. Try to understand that, and the world might be on the way to becoming a more peaceful place. A peace not borne out of extinction of all mankind.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You might want to learn about Shinto. While most people in Japan do not strictly adhere to Shinto or Buddhism, their values are part of any Japanese's life. It's not ancestor worship but a religion which has a strong point in respect for ancestors. This type of thing has deteriorated in many respects, i.e., few people commit suicide these days, even compared to 20 years ago.

When my mother was pregnant with me, it was a serious shame to the family. 100 years ago, my grandfather would most likely put her to death to return honour to the family and not even the authorities would have questioned his actions. You'll think that hideously harsh, but I tend to agree with it. I don't try to apply it to westerners, but most Asians from Asia (as opposed to western-born Asians) understand the thinking very well.

23. BOSOX78250 macrumors newbie

I don't think that I will ever understand these idiots who strap themselves with bombs and blow up busses with groups of children on them. I don't care if they are doing it for thier family or themselves.

Either way it is barbaric and inhumane. If anything they are shaming thier families and I HOPE are going to hell.

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's always tough to understand when you wake from a soft bed and sit in a soft chair, turn on your t.v., not having to think about how someone might flatten your house with a tank.