Crazy Woman Causes Jetliner to Land

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Aug 17, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Link

2. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I am really interested in the woman's motivation for doing this.

And angry, because those are my taxpayer dollars sending F-15s into the air because of some nut.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Ludicrous.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Wow, I was listening to 630 am KHOW while this whole thing was unraveling and initially they said it was a 40 year old lady that attacked someone with a screwdriver, had loose matches, kerosene, and a note referenceing al-queda in 2 languages.

what a change in story this is

if it was just clastropobia, why in the world would they need bomb sniffing dogs to check all of the bags? i think the govt is not telling the whole story here

Glenn Beck made a good point at how all the news stations would have been all over this plane landing but no such footage was shot of the plane landing by any of the media. govt censored perhaps????

hmm maybe i should read the news article posted above before writing lol

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Beat the scared little old lady to the ground and make a big deal about the denture adhesive (unless it was a KY-type lubricant, then they really had something to worry about) and matches ... no wonder people are nervous about flying.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

watch there be some old person who needs one of those oxygen tanks to breathe. takes some matches and makes a bomb somehow.

better just ban all old people from planes lol jk

7. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

After reading the thing more carefully, I understand the woman's situation better.

I personally don't have claustrophobia, but I do suffer from a different type of phobia. (Not going to share, my own business) And the fear can be compelling enough sometimes to make me do things to 'avoid' the fear, that I normally wouldn't do.

Maybe it was her first time on an airplane, and she didn't realize that she would be claustrophobic. And, on a long-haul flight, the problem would probably only be exacerbated.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This selling of fear is costing us billions and everyone is crazy if you ask me. Terrorism has become a big business for those pretending to fight it.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you question the cost of fighting it, you're just not patriotic.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats what they say isnt it. Think about how Fear has replaced rational thought by the NeoCons who run this coutry. So we have a restrained woman and it costs us the price of diverting this flight, for two agents riding the skys, scrambling F15s for 1 crazy bitch. So because of fear we are spending billions and its a joke. We are as secure as we were the day before 911 only now its billions of our tax dollars in fake security.

11. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Although I can see the good in having air marshalls flying on flights, the F-15s were definitely overboard. Besides, they had the woman restrained, so I don't know why they would redirect the flight. Seems more like they did things "by the book" (problem? land the plane immediately) rather than by common sense.

12. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Not our government. That simply can't be... :rolleyes:

If that's true, I think I'll stay home tomorrow. :D

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

wait so the patient had an episode of claustophobia and they decided to arrest her.

Well at least this time they didn't shoot her like they did with the person in miami (?) a while back.

Mentally and emotionally handicapped you can fly on a plane but be prepared to either be killed or arrested for being the way you are.

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    She deserves worse. A small body slam ain't much for doing such a stupid thing. Here's to hoping next time she gets thrown out of the plane at 5000 feat next time.

15. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

After reading this article my understanding of the woman's situation is more unsettled. I don't know of another documented episode of claustrophobia where an individual pulls down their pants and underwear to squat in a public airplane, mutters comments about "Pakistan" and carries on what is now confirmed by an FBI agent as non-permitted carry on items such as a screwdriver. That is, if all these reports are true. Drastic measures? Sure. Bizarre behavior on an international flight? Absolutely. These two tensions are now a part of real world travel which will continue to be hammered out.

16. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I'm glad you weren't the air marshall on board that flight...

17. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Sounds like somebody wanted to play the "hero" role and perhaps star in a sequel to the Flight 93 movie :rolleyes:

The woman was obviously not a physical threat to anyone...no need to use unecessary force. And that she is the only one who was physically harmed in someway or the other, that only underscores the point.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

19. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

It's a typo.

I think they meant "planeclothes" man, which would refer to one of these:
    [​IMG]

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

nice.

21. iGary Guest

iGary

Sweet!!!

Depending on how out of whack she was, I hope she sues.

22. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Plainclothes men are law enforcement men not in uniform.

You've never heard this phrase before?

23. iGary Guest

iGary

I have heard of plainclothes cops/police officers/agents, not plainclothes men.

I looked it up, and the use is rare. (Plainclothes Man).

24. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Ah. I guess I just assumed that any use of "plainclothes" implied that the men in question were law enforcement... also, the reporter might have been asked not to divulge anything about the men in question beyond the fact that they were not in uniform.

25. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

To be honest, I agree the phrase isn't very accurate or well used. While I did think of an out-of-uniform officer, a Quaker/Amish plainclothes person also came to mind (not joking).