Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
The button for the trackpad on my ibook g4 12" creaks when I touch it basically. I rest my thumb on there when i'm using the mouse part of it and it just makes a noise that's really irritating. Anyone else have the same problem? or a way to fix it :)

SirCrispin

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2005
:eek: something like that started happening to me about two days ago! The trackpad creaks when I run my finger over the centre bottom bit, and it is indeed very annoying, because I keep rubbing it just to hear the creaking sound in a vain attempt to make it go away! My iBook's pretty new, I only got it end of October :( Well, maybe it'll go away soon. At least I normally have iTunes on loud enough to cover the creak. :rolleyes:

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
yeah, crispin i've got the same issue as you. mine is basically brand new and it makes that noise at the same spot basically. Try resting your thumb on it and then moving the mouse around - my god it gets annoying.

It's not the cracking from pushing the button down whoever posted first. It's a very quiet creaking that almost sounds like the HD working except very quietly and coming out of the trackpad. It just gets really annoying hearing a creaking noise when just sitting around.

Typing on the keys on my ibook got a little quieter over time, so i'm hoping the creaking is more the nature of new plastic or something.

Anyone else find a fix for this problem? I doubt there is one, but it's worth a shot.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Are you sure it is the trackpad that is making the creaking noise? The entire chassis on which the keyboard sits often creaks on iBooks... if you look at the chassis from the side, you will see a seam going around. Now, press the chassis on the corner and watch the seam get smaller, let go, see it get bigger... all the while making a creaking noise. The trackpad can't really creak by itself, unless your pressing the trackpad causes the entire case to creak... when you just press the case where you ordinarily rest the palms of your hands when typing, does it creak? If yes, that's your answer... it is unlikely that the trackpad in addition creaks all by itself, rather than simply causing the case to creak. YMMV.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
The area around my trackpad used to creak when it was new as well. Give it a few months and the plastic will eventually wear down and it won't creak anymore.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah, well I have that gap on my ibook at the seams too which creaks and is obnoxious in itself. but it's the button below the trackpad. (the mouse click subsitute). Rest your finger gently on there and then move it a little and it makes that noise. Quite annoying.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Alright compx, thanks. That's what I figured. Just new plastic being creaky before it wears down enough to 'get comfortable'.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I don't know. I had a 1.33ghz 14" iBook and then i got a 1.2ghz iBook 14" for a friend. I was amazed that the 1.2 was creacking and sounding weird and hollow. VERY distracting. The trackpad was also not as responsive as the 1.33ghz. So I had apple replace under Applecare. I chose not to live with that distraction.

SirCrispin

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2005
wait for it to 'wear down'? well it wasn't dreaky up til now. but I s'pose it's like a segment of a sine graph. sigh, I still regret having done maths in my first year of uni...

and that's another thing, I'm sure the creaking's going to seem really loud the next time I'm in my uni library :(

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
I don't know if it will ever "wear" down, I've had an iBook G3 for years-it's creaked since day one. I think that's unavoidable with this type of plastic. I believe the casing is made of polycarb which is notorious for that. (Six years working at a molding shop;) )

Mr MacBlue

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2005
I noticed this sound immediately when I used my iBook for the first time. I also had a dead pixel, so I phoned Apple. Because of these two issues, they classified my book as DOA and I got a new one.:)
With this I also noticed the cracking trackpad but after using it for a few months it disappeared. A few weeks ago it was back again.:confused: I dismantled the battery and put my finger on the inside of the trackpad and pushed it slightly. Then it was gone. I don't know if it's related to the battery or to my brave act. However, I can't recommend playing with your iBooks insides.

jblock

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
The bottom left corner of my iBook creaks when I press on it, but the button seems fine.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
yeah, all the ibook corners creak. big slip up with them if you ask me. I thought my machine was falling apart when i first got it; apparently it's just a chinese-built issue.

no more china, please.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
As silly as this might seem to some of you, this was one of deciding factors regarding the purchase of my Powerbook. It was down to a refurb 12" PB or a new 12" iBook. I've used an iBook for the past 3 years and I couldn't stand the creaking.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
that doesn't seem silly to me at all; this is driving me insane. I'd do anything to make the sound stop.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
calebjohnston said:
Yeah, well I have that gap on my ibook at the seams too which creaks and is obnoxious in itself. but it's the button below the trackpad. (the mouse click subsitute). Rest your finger gently on there and then move it a little and it makes that noise. Quite annoying.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Thanks for nothing, now I won't be able to relax everytime I touch the trackpad :( .

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
:| Sorry bud. I'll let you know if I ever do find a few to fix it. I might take this sucker apart someday and see if I can do anything about it.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Anyone find a cure for this problem? I'd probably be willing to pay some money to get my computer fixed up - this sound is making me crazy. Think apple would take it in to do that?

EDIT: the noise is seriously making me want to kill myself :). now :).

right now. =). It makes the whole computer seem unsturdy and crappy :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.