Creaking PowerBook Hinge... anyone else?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mechcozmo, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

My PowerBook G4 12" Rev. C has had this problem since it was dropped (literally) by FedEx at my doorstep. The hinge, when you open and close it, creaks. It is really annoying. I have mostly ignored it now, but it has started to bug me more and more. I have the extended AppleCare. There is a dent on it where I dropped it once (while in a case... still :mad: ) but that is in the front and shouldn't affect the PowerBook. Besides, the dent is rather new (~2 weeks, maybe) and the creaking is since July something. 17th is when I joined the forums... so... oh heck, the first day.

Anyone else have this issue? Should I call up AppleCare? :confused:

BTW I love it a heck of a lot... :D Very nice computer. I live around 10 minutes from an Apple Store, too...

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There was a thread on here recently concerning this, but I'm too tired to search for it :p ;)

Anyways, I think I recommended a RadTech product to try and fix it.

3. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I have the same problem with my 12" It had a minor drop here and there too.

I've learned to live with it.

4. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

All four threads about powerbooks that make mention of a creaking hinge (the oldest one said that the hinges didn't creak!) were negative for either RadTech, a post by you, or a solution... shoot.

5. dotnina macrumors 6502a

My 15" Rev C Powerbook has a creaky hinge too, on the left. It doesn't creak all the time ... just, every here and there. I've never dropped it or anything like that ... it just started creaking one day.

Is this the sort of thing Applecare would cover? I've been thinking about taking mine in too.

6. mateybob macrumors member

mine is creaky and ive never dropped it.. (revC 12")

7. asdf123 macrumors member

apple store

same problem. rev c. 12" pb. I went to the apple store in my town, and they said that they could ship it out to apple to get it fixed, that is the creaking sound oiled out or something. but 5 days....for creaking? (that doesn't even bother.)

ben

8. denm316 macrumors 6502

I have my Rev C 12 inch for a few months and now all of a sudden it has begun to get that creaking noise. It is not a big deal but it is just really annoying.

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i would rather get the annoying noise and have my display stay where i put it, if the alternative would be no noise and unstable display. maybe yours is too tight? you can also try to clean it with pressurized air.

10. bellis1 macrumors 6502

Friend's 12"

I am currently using a friend's 12" and it definately is creaky when I open it. I had a rev A and never had the problem. I think I'll save my friend a trip to the Apple store and spray it with WD-40. I'll let you know how it works.

Just kidding... (well, just about the WD-40 not the creak)

11. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Just to make it clear, it was creaking before I dropped it. The drop might have made it better... but I'm not trying it again!

12. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

My 15" creaks too - agree that it was alarming at first, but I have just ignored it. I thought it was too trivial to take in under AppleCare (that and I don't want to be without it)

13. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I accidently dropped my PB1400 a couple of years ago and the hinges are also noisy, I just ignored it and works without problem ( it's no longer used nowdays)

14. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

My Rev A 12" has the creaking problem as well. However, I've found it creaks more the less you move the screen. That is, if you're just adjusting the screen a little bit, it creaks, and gives some resistance. However, if you're fully opening the screen, it gives no resistance, and doesn't creak. I just tend not to adjust it too much.

15. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Anyone with a squeeky hinge should take it in to Apple. I have replaced hinges under warranty for this problem before.

Note that the early iBook (dual USB) had a known fault with squeeky hinges and Apple was still replacing these free-of-charge, even if the computer was years out of warranty.

16. j79 macrumors newbie

Rev. C. 12" PowerBook - Also has the creaking hinges.

Started, i believe, a week ago. Driving me up the wall!

(Although, I have to admit it's much better than the hinge issue my Pismo had - the sucker would just flop open and close....)

17. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

One time it made noise

My display used to grind( sand and dirt) and be stiff when i opened it but i sent it away to apple for them to replace the latch (it wasnt hooking) and when i got it back it was as smooth as when i first got it. Thanks apple.

18. iceTrX macrumors regular

My hing is so tight that it sometimes makes a loud popping sound when you move the display a little bit (I don't know if you would classify this as creaking?). Apple is fixing it right now :-D