Create cross-stitch pattern from a photo

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gauchogolfer, Dec 12, 2006.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

First off, I hope this is the appropriate forum; my question starts from a digital image, then moves on from there. If you have a suggestion for a better forum, please PM me so I can ask a mod to move it.

My wife enjoys doing counted cross stitch needlework, and I would like to make a pattern for her from a photo I took. The project (I believe) basically will entail taking an image and using (for example) Photoshop to reduce the number of colors to something manageable (about 50) and then pixellating the image to form larger squares of color (typical cross-stitch patterns are about 200x200 'pixels'). I can do all of this already, and the result seems OK.

Here's the problem: I need to convert this 50-color, pixellated image into a cross-stitch pattern, where each color is represented by a symbol. Are there any ideas (or do you know of any software) for doing this conversion?

This example from a cross-stitch magazine is the kind of output I'm trying to ultimately generate.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

[​IMG]

2. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Looks good to me, B, I'll try out their demo and see how it goes. How did you come up with this so fast? Anyways, thanks.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just Googled "crossstitch software" ;)

B

4. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Oh, that explains why I didn't come up with it on my own then....
    :eek:

thanks again, it looks like it'll be what I'm after.

5. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Just bookmarking this thread for reference. My girlfriend likes doing this too. Last year she stitched a small orchid file that I pixelated and converted to 16 colours, and just printed out in colour. Not the easiest to follow!

6. barbarbayee macrumors newbie

well, sound good as i always type the patter which i need into the google and then search it, i will try it!