Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aStabell

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
OK ok I know I should know how to do this, but I don't. lol. :p So how do you do this.

BTW I am creating an image for my copy of Myth: TFL so I don't have to do disk swapping

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
aStabell said:
OK ok I know I should know how to do this, but I don't. lol. :p So how do you do this.

Disk Utility in the Applictions/Utilities folder. Images -> New Image from the file menu. This is the same program that you use to repair permissions.

aStabell

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
thanks mkrishnan I feel kinda dumb not knowing how to do that. Thanks again.

aStabell

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
Ok, so I started to create the image and it says invalid argument, when I tried it again the progress bar came up but won't advance. Anyone have any ideas?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
aStabell said:
Ok, so I started to create the image and it says invalid argument, when I tried it again the progress bar came up but won't advance. Anyone have any ideas?

Hmmm... ??? Don't know on this one. Are the Myth discs copy-protected? When I make the image, I get a three deep nest of items in disk util.

- the combo drive
- another folder in it that just has the volume size listed
- a third folder that has the volume name listed

I click on the 2nd thing and choose create image from device (the last option in the menu).

aStabell

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
it works

thanks mkrishnan, i was cliking on the third disk not the second, but now its working.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
aStabell said:
thanks mkrishnan, i was cliking on the third disk not the second, but now its working.

Ahh, didn't even expect to have offered a solution. ;)

But seriously I'm such a disk image dork. Three or four times a year I have to look up on the web how to write or read disk images in this or that OS. Especially linux. You'd think "dd" would be easy enough to remember but.... :D

I had a weird disk image use just now...I had an old Win MS Office 97 CD. I wanted to make a backup in case I misplace it or it gets scratched up, cuz its an oldie but a goodie.... ;) It wouldn't even open on my Mac!!! Just did a little dance-of-death on the combo drive until I ejected it. :mad: Then I put it on my PC and made a disk image in Linux and FTP'd it back to my Mac. Strangeness..... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.