create link to file

Discussion in 'macOS' started by elskeptico, Aug 18, 2006.

1. elskeptico macrumors member

elskeptico

I found a utility that allows me to copy a file's location to the clipboard, but is there a way to create a link to a file location? I'd like to be able to send co-workers a link to files or folders on shared servers, so they can just click the link and get to that location in their Finder. I seem to remember doing this with Windows. Can it be done in OS X?

2. phrozted macrumors newbie

phrozted

re: link to file

This is a great question. Anyone out there have an answer? I've often wanted to do it. :apple:

3. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Why not try and email them an alias file? Since the source file is on the shared server the alias link will work on both ends. (I used this at work on Windows so I presume it will work on Mac's).

Alternatively there is Dropbox, which gives you free online space to send files, either by direct link or by sharing a folder.

4. phrozted macrumors newbie

phrozted

sorry, that's not what I mean. What if I want to embed a link, say, in a Word doc, to an app? Click link, app opens if it's there.

5. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

You can do that using Dropbox. Not sure if it is possible within OS X, although you did say you can get the location of a file. Does that not link to the file? Surely it should be as simple as emailing the file location as you both have access to the same folder/file via the shared network. :confused:

6. dcbruns macrumors newbie

Exactly

I want to do this all the time. Have you ever found a solution?????