Create my own ROM

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rabidz7, Jan 13, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

rabidz7

How do I go about creating my own rom for video cards from scratch. What difficulty level and time is required.
    It seems amazing that there are no new video card roms for power macs beside the 7800 GTX.

2. macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

It isn't surprising at all. Do you know why flashes for Intel cards don't work in PowerPC? It's because they use EFI, which will not work with PowerPC Macs.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

It can't be that much harder to create an open firmware version.

4. macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Yes, it can be. They are incompatible.

5. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

IMO if you had the skills to be able to do so you wouldn't be asking the question. I think it's probably way more difficult than you are assuming. I know I couldn't do it.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Well no, it is just that developers don't want to spend more time making 2 roms.

7. macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

No, that is not the issue. If you could make 2 ROMs, people would. However, you can't.

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I can do it. I only need instructions.

9. macrumors 68000

Goftrey

As Martin Luther King once said - "I have a dream..."

I admire you're ambitious attitude but being told straight up that EFI & PowerPC are totally & utterly incompatible, and to then say you can do it - you just need to be told what to do is ludicrous.

10. macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

And to listen when you hear it.

11. macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Can we just close this thread? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

You're not going to get anywhere without the source code of the video card in question, that is for sure.

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I have a rom for a 7900 GTX and an AMD 7850.

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

What I was saying was that an open firmware rom AND EFI rom could be created.

----------

No, and these kinds of comments really are not helpful.

15. macrumors P6

Intell

ROMs are not source code. They are compiled and it is not possible to decompile a GPU ROM. You need the source, only AMD/ATI and Nvidia have that and there is no way for you to get it. And unless I'm mistaken, GPU ROMs of this age are written in assembly.

16. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

The last time I was making ROMs is 20 years ago. Chips like PROM, EPROM and EEPROM; some to be erased with UV light. That was fun ... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eprom32k.jpg)

But instead of my old meaningless stories you might want to read here

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/nvidia-general-flashing

The biggest challenge will be to get the technical documentation to program the chips properly. I think that the companies treat that as confidential and closed source.

Good luck with your endeavor though.

17. macrumors 604

I remember having to work with the ROMS ages ago. You not only need the source code, you need documentation, and sometimes you even find the ROM is written in assembly code, which is a bitch to program if you don't understand it.

18. macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Well, you cannot make them. Closed source period. If they ever release the source code, you can make it. Otherwise it is against the law and you could be sued for that.

19. thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

No, how are all other PowerPC roms made? Are they all illegal?! I have a very nice decompiler.

20. macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Which ones?

Nvidia makes some of its source code GPL. I mean if you really knew how to do that, you wouldn't be posting here. If you have a 'decompiler' what are you doing here in the first place?

You cannot do that, for the reasons stated above by MisterKeeks and Intell

Stop this nonsense, you cannot, may not do this, unless you have strict access to the Source Code.

21. macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Flashing is when the EFI Firmware from a Mac card is placed on the firmware card of a Windows card to interact with the BIOS segment of the Windows card. You can only flash if you have the Open Firmware ROMs for the card you want to flash, and if it's recent, you don't have the ROMs.

----------

Impossible. One doesn't create the ROM, you merely transfer it, but there are no Open Firmware ROMs to transfer

Why not? Every time someone provides any factual evidence that it is impossible, you return with a blind statement about how it is, you just need someone to give you instructions. It simply cannot be done.

22. thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360287752.003613.jpg
    If I am correct, which I am not sure i am, my decompiler has done it's deeds well.

23. thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Why can it not be created? Why must it be copied? It is possible yet difficult.

24. macrumors P6

Intell

You're looking at the raw hex of it. Not the source code. You can't do anything useful with that.

It cannot be created because you don't have the assembly source for the GPU chip. Only ATI/AMD and Nvidia have that and they are not releasing it anytime soon because it is considered a trade secrete. Just like you can't rewrite Windows XP to run on a PowerPC without emulation. You lack the source code to recompile it to be able to run on the PowerPC architecture. It cannot be done. Not "difficult". It cannot be done.

25. thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Thanks, I will now stop posting.