creating a backup cd to mount from

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by sparrow, Jul 21, 2004.

1. sparrow macrumors newbie

My ibook was running os x 10.2 and the os got corrupt and I had to wipe the disk. My brother has an ibook running 10.2 and I was wondering if it is possible to make a boot disk on his computer which I could use to fix mine. I am trying to install panther, but since it's an upgrade I have to have a previous version of os x on my ibook and I can't find my os x cd. Is it possible to make a copy of the disk or something like that and then burn it on a cd and have the computer mount it from the cd?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Since you're starting with a wiped disk, you'll need those install CDs. I assume your brother doesn't have his either? Surely one of you must have the system CDs that shipped with your iBooks, no?

If not, then, well, the Panther upgrade CDs won't work - as you know - without Jaguar. I suppose, if you can get target mode to work (boot your iBook with 'T' pressed down after connecting it to his iBook via Firewire), that you could use Disk Image to clone his disk onto yours (Applications->Utilities->Disk Image, then go to the Restore tab and drag the disks into the text fields). I don't know if target mode works with a wiped disk, though.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Target disk mode ought to work.

You're positive you have upgrade disks and not a full version? They're out there but they're fairly rare. This would mean you got your iBook right around the time Panther came out and they specifically gave you an upgrade disk.

4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

You can make a bootable CD using BootCD. This is a partial system with enough of OS X to boot to the desktop. its useful for utility work and such.

However, it would allow your machine to boot with the CD, and connect to the other Mac via Firewire and target disk mode.

You can also use Carbon Copy Cloner (freeware) and image your brother's disk to yours. This is fairly simple and makes sure all permissions and hidden files are included. But it will trash any hope of recovering your existing files.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Disk Utility in Panther has the exact same functionality.