Creating a bootable Flash Drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by garirry, May 3, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

garirry

I formated it in "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", I configured the partition into "Apple Partition Mac" (because I want to install for a PPC Mac), I formated, I did the restore function, and now, it doesn't work! The USB didn't take the name of "Mac OS X Install DVD", when I open it, I see hidden files, I don't see the background with the huge "X", and it doesn't seem to recognize it as a bootable drive. Did I made something wrong?

2. macrumors newbie

Macs in the Power PC age can only be booted by firewire.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

garirry

However, I just tested it and it appears to be booting fine into the installation wizard when booting from it :confused:

----------

No.

4. macrumors P6

Intell

All USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 Macs can boot from a USB device. Only USB 1.0 Macs cannot.

5. macrumors regular

In disk utility, make sure you check the box that says "erase destination", in order to make the disk a startup disk. From the disk utility help section, step 4:

6. macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

ORLY?
    Nope.

Only G5s can boot from USB. No G3, or G4 system can.

7. macrumors regular

I've booted Linux from a USB flash drive on my Sawtooth, MDD and iBook G4 more times than I can remember. It is my preferred method for testing new versions.

On my G4 towers, it is as easy as holding down the option key, and then choosing the USB flash drive from the drives/partitions that appear in the startup manager. (I think it's called the startup manager, or maybe it's the disk manager.)

For the iBook G4 (mid-2005 model), I must use the Open Firmware method. Hold down the Command-Option-O-F key combination while starting up. At the Open Firmware prompt, type one of the following lines, depending on which USB port you use:

boot usb0/disk@1:2,\\yaboot

or

boot usb1/disk@1:2,\\yaboot

Works every time.

8. macrumors P6

Intell

All G4's can as well as most G3's. On some of them, you can even select the USB drive from within OS X's Startup pref pane or OpenFirmware's boot menu.

9. macrumors member

Just to back up the truth here is a method I follow every time for my g4 http://blog.campodoro.org/?p=43 and for making the drive it should be the apple partition map and you restore the .DMG to the drive

10. macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Yes, I've boot iMac G4s with a USB drive.

11. macrumors 6502

jruschme

I've actually booted a Pismo (albeit slowly) from a USB drive.