Creating a Mac OSX Boot disk in Ubuntu or Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yaraher, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Yaraher macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2006
    I've recently adquired a Macbook (C2D 2Ghz) which no longer boots :p

I was working with Parallels loading a BootCamp Windows partition, and left my laptop unattended for a while, discovering later my brother had hibernated it (which is, as we know, a "no-no" situation when loading the Windows partition via emulation).

When I turned it on, the keyboard didn't respond, neither the mouse, so I was left with the only choice of rebooting.

After doing that, the laptop won't boot up again. Everytime I try I got the "You need to restart your computer..." kernel panic message.

I've tried booting with the Apple Installer Disc by pressing the "C" key, but whenever I do that, I still get the "You need..." message. If I use the Option key and select the dvd, it starts loading, showing the light-blueish background, and stops there.

I also tried entering single user mode but when I try to mount the partition for write permissions again,a kernel panel arises.

I CAN see my data in single user mode, and all of it seems fine, so I figured it should be a matter of using a repairing tool for it, and remember I got a Diskwarrior image at my Ubuntu Linux machine (fileserver for backups :p)

Giving it's a "*.cdr" image, I tried burning it with k3b, brasero, GnomeBaker but without much success. After reading something on the net, I change the *.cdr extension to *.iso and burned it with brasero.

Apparently, it works -I could see the files of the iso on the Cd., but when I use it to boot on my Macbook, after trying to load it, the "NO" symbol appears, I'd say because it isn't recognizing it properly as a booteable cd.

Is there any way to create a booteable CD with Ubuntu using the *.cdr image?

I tried booting with an Ubuntu Live Cd and everything worked fine, I could see the hard disk, and the two partitions (although the MacOSX wasn't recognised, I'd say because Ubuntu can't read the HFS+ filesystem?).

I have just reinstalled the Windows partition, and everything worked fine, but still can't boot on MacOSX. At least, I also have Windows to create the booteable Diskwarrior cd.

How could I do that in Windows?

Thanks in advance for reading this topic, and for your help :p

- A new MacUser.. loving it so far even with this little problem
  2. Yaraher thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2006
    I've now tried a bunch of several burning programs in Windows:

but neither can get me a booteable CD for my Mac :(

Is there any other program that can create a booteable cd from the Diskwarrior *.cdr image?

Two days without using MacOSX seems like an eternity now..
  3. Yaraher thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2006
    I've kept trying and trying without any results :(

I'm considering now formatting the hard disk, if that is what it take to get back to MacOSX :p

However, I still don't know how should I do that. It won't boot from the Apple DVD, nor any disk I tried to burnt (except the Windows I used to reinstall it to its partition, so my drive should be fine).

Checking my Disk Administrator in Windows, I noticed I got 4 partitions:

200Mb Unknown
    44Gb Unknown (My MacOSX partition)
    126Mb Unknown
    33,1Gb NTFS (My Windows partition).

Since I guess rebooting with Parallels loading my Windows partition somehow damaged my boot sector or something like that, will deleting the 44Gb on Windows could help?

And what about the 200Mb and 126Mb partitions? Did BootCamp created them? Could it be better to delete one of them?

Thanks for your suggestions!
  4. supermorph macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2009

i dont know if the mac is easy to take out the hard drive,
    but why not get an adaptor from a local electronics store,

take out the drive, and update to ubuntu-karmic (as i use it to access osx partitions,)

You may need to enter the single mode on the mac first
    and disable the partitions journal, so ubuntu can access it.

when u do this, u could copy over everything or, even do some repairs
    although if u can access single mode, you could just repair there,
    in my case, i do have macs, but thier slow g3's im using a pc for my osx
    which supprisingly worked (out of the box) on a 10.4 dvd i had.
    (osx86 ikatos incase assumed retail unmodified lol)

i only stuck it on for a laugh, but it worked, so i was supprised.
    just a question to other people here, can a real mac boot off a usb stick?
    e.g like the osx86 iportables can?

this could be an option if this can happen.

lol i signed up just to post this.