Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_Wall

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2003
Hi to all. I recently got my wireless network router running in my house and everything is going ok. I do have a couple of questions though. My parents PC is connected to our router as well and I was wondering how I would connect to it in order to get a few files from it.

Also, I was wondering if those of you with a Netgear router (802.11 G) could help me with being able to put a password on my wireless network so only those with a password could use it. Any other tips for using a wireless network would be helpful too. Thanks a ton.

The_Wall

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Wall,

I can help with the password thing.

1. The first thing you should do is change the name of your network to something other than NETGEAR.

2. The second thing you should do is change the router's password.

---> By doing the 2 steps above, a passer-by won't see NETGEAR and won't be able to know the default router address, with the default router password.

3. Log into your router and find the area where you can select the level of encryption.

3a. I chose 128-bit, but you can use 40/64 if you want.

3b. Make sure the "Key 1" button is clicked and type in a phrase. You'll notice that a long string of numbers will pop up in the Key 1 box. Copy this string down as this is your passkey.

4. After you've set everything, your Mac may be locked out of the router.

5. Go up to the Airport widget and choose your network.

6. Type in the password preceded by $ or #. Whichever works. Some people say that the $ isn't necessary, but on my setup, I needed to use it.

7. You should be all set.

The_Wall

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2003
ftaok,

thanks a lot...I got it all working with a 128-bit encryption. Now i'll just have to lget it connected to my parents PC. thanks a lot.

The_Wall

The_Wall

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2003
epiphany,

thanks a lot. I will check it all out in a little while when i get a chance.

The_Wall

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.