Creating a rich man’s “poor man’s” Apple TV

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 24, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

Sayer

I will never understand why people go out of the way to avoid buying an integrated Apple product that "Just Works" by instead cobbling together something that is less than elegant, may cost more and lacks features the real product offers (like HDMI, optical audio out, remote).

3. macrumors regular

Need to read linked story, plus response #2.

4. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

I have 221 episodes of One Piece in Divx format. You know how much of a pain it would be to make those ATVcompatible? Not to mention other movies I ripped to be of the same format (I've since been ripping at mp4 for future-proofing) but still, that's a lot of content i have. So I will have to cobble together most of my media options (using an xbmc atm)

5. Guest

liberty4all

Apple needs iPhone HDMI cable

Why didn't Apple just make an iPhone HDMI or even DVI cable?!

6. macrumors 6502

Very well put.

7. macrumors 6502

If i were you i'd be converting all that using visual hub and xgrid......in fact i have just done that !!! I'm at 1.5 TB of on tap entertainment.... :)

8. macrumors Core

Dagless

Gotta agree there, one of the best little apps I've bought! Xgrid and my farm of Macs really chewed through all the videos I had. I'd be nice if Handbrake had Xgrid too.

9. macrumors 6502a

Peel

Note, if you plan to do this, you'd better do it before you upgrade to Leopard, as the current version (while it works fine with leopard) doesn't yet work with Leopard's version of Xgrid. Techspansion says that because of the fundamental differences in the way that permissions and tools are handled, they can't recode it at this time. Thought you should know before you get all excited and upgrade to Leopard, then have it not work with Xgrid.

10. macrumors P6

twoodcc

it seems that this is possible. but why not just buy an appleTV?

11. macrumors regular

my Xbox 360 does everything thanks to a $20 program called Connect360

12. macrumors 6502

The Xbox360 is great value, however I found it unsuitable for me due to the extremely loud fans ruining movies, and the "quirky" user interface.

The ATV whilst not as good value (no 1080p, no HD-DVD, no games) does do what it does better than the xbox360.

Cheers, Ed.