creating a SHARE folder for ALL USERS

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by lolbro, Mar 29, 2003.

1. lolbro macrumors newbie

What is the best way to create a SHARE folder (with folders of pictures and music files) between "guests" and "admins" that ANY users can read and write and modify these files.

I keep having trouble that its says the files are "READ ONLY" and can only be modify by the owner. I try to play around with "Ownership and Permission" settings under "Get Info", but no luck! I set the ownership to blank " " and permission to blank " " also, but it didnt work either.

What should I do?

2. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

Try putting filesharing on (personal) and which folder are you doing this with?? Is it the shared folder in the user directory? and what are the permissions for other (the one on the bottom)

3. lolbro thread starter macrumors newbie

"Try putting filesharing on (personal) and which folder are you doing this with?? Is it the shared folder in the user directory? and what are the permissions for other (the one on the bottom)"

filesharing in the system preference?

BTW, a create a new folder outside of the typical, "user" folder. It is still unaccessable to other users. (\harddrive\share\)

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

How about the Shared folder in /Users ? I've put stuff in there and all the users can open it...

irmongoose

5. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

ya shared folder in /Users, sorry to be snarky but doesn't everybody know this. It does work right? or am I missing something? Youshouldn't need to turn on file sharing if all users are on the same computer.

6. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Besides using the Shared folder, why doesn't anyone ever just put files in the Documents folder in the root of the drive? Then it's even easier to get to.

Dan

7. lolbro thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried creating a share folder under "Documents folder in the root drive", as alset suggested and "shared folder in /Users", as kansaigaijin suggested. But no luck.

When I tried it if the users created a file, only that users can modify and edit that file. For example, a GUEST create a file, he is the only one who can modify that file, not even the "Admin" account can write the file.

Yea. I think setting Filesharing is not nessacary because it on the same computer and same computer have only three users >> "guest", "admin" and "other"(root).

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you didn't originally save the documents in one of those folders, you need to set the permissions on the files themselves. Get Info on the files, click on "Ownership and Permissions", and give everyone access.

If you don't have 10.2, let me know and I'll tell you how to do it in the Terminal.

JW

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Here's what you have to do. Set your permissions this way.

Group (staff Me)
    Access (Read only or R&W if you want them to have write access)

You will need to do this with your home folder and each folder within that you want them to have access with. If you are doing like you movie folder and want them to have access to every folder within hit the apply to enclosed items button. Remember if you give another user access to a folder that's within a folder you need make sure they have access to the folder that it is within and so on and so on.

Okay now for the other user.

I create an applications folder for each user and each user can add aliases for there favorite apps from the main system app folder and place them there.

The other users also get an alias of my movie, music, and pictures folder within there movie, music and pictures folder. This gives them access to all my photos etc. and they can add to my folders if they chose or just keep there item in there own folder.

You can also set permissions for a group of file or folders by selecting the ones you want and getting info on the whole group of them and setting permissions that way.

10. lolbro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Skywalker and MacBandit.

What actually is an "alias"? Is it simiiar to a "shortcut" (like in Win XP)

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Basically the same thing. It's just a place holder file that worlks like the original without taking up the space of duplicating the original.

The best way to create an alias in my oppinion is to open the folder containing the item you want to create and alias of and to open the folder or location where you want the alias to go. Once you are prepared simply hold the Apple and option keys down and drag the file/folder/app to the location you want it and voíla you have an alias.

You can also right click on the file/folder/app or go to the menu bar under file and select create alias and finally you can use the Apple/L key combination.