creating an iMac village...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blackfox, Oct 7, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

OK, so I am looking for some advice/feedback on the following plan I have:

I am moving into a new penthouse Apt with two other people and wanted to upgrade the computer set-up. So I came up with this idea:

I thought I would purchase three (perhaps four) old iMacs (266 or 333), stick them full of RAM, load them with OSX and deposit them around the house...one in the kitchen, a couple in the living room, and another possibly at the door (for iCal and whatnot).

Now ideally I would like to put a wireless card in most, if not all of them along with Bluetooth (preferably) for a wireless keyboard. I would put all the iMacs on a network (wirelessly) with my PM in my room and my PB as a wanderer (out the door alot, and we have a private rooftop deck with a view over downtown). I would have a couple wireless keyboards to share with the iMacs, and regular keyboards as backup. I would administrate/control them via Remote Desktop from my PM.

Basically they would serve as media centers for iTunes and for movies/media based off my HDs on my PM or my external drives. Since I also have students in my household (including myself), they might also be used for Word. In addition, there would be some degree of file-transfer between the "papa" computer and the "children".

So are the early iMacs able to go wireless? to have bluetooth?

If not, any suggestions for a work-around?

I figure for around $1000 or so, I could have a pretty cool thing going on...

I have considered setting up old G3 towers with multiple monitors (wireless/bluetooth[again,if possible]) but that is a much less elegant solution...

BTW, the Apt is about 1700 sq feet...

*EDIT* Upon further research, can I use the ethernet 11g adaptor?
    how about the Bluetooth USB dongles?

2. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Only slot loading iMacs support Airport. And even then, it requires the adapter. Both parts were recently yanked off the market. Through some experimentation, it's possible to get a tray loading iMac to use wireless, by attaching it via ethernet to a wireless access point that has a client mode. However, since these things are bulky, and run a fair bit per, it's not an exceptional solution. Though, considering the cost of Airport cards, and the adapters at this point, the access points may be a bit more ideal, costwise.

Other than that, I rather like the idea. I've got numerous macs and PCs set up on a network throughout my apartment, though not wirelessly, and it makes things infinitely simpler. The concept of streaming a movie off my primary PC to a P3 hooked up to my TV always makes me giddy.

3. cubist macrumors 68020

What's wrong with using wires? You can snake 'em behind the furniture, etc. Things will run better & faster.

4. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Nothing. For some. For the iMacs in the Living room, I will probably end up wiring them, as I already have to snake a power/extension cord. For one in the kitchen and/or foyer, the distance could prove a pain, although it can be snaked along the molding where wall meets floor. I would like the option though, and my PB is already wireless.

BT keyboards are a bigger issue, although there are some decent alternatives (some IR, for example)...

Just looking for opinions...thanks for yours.

5. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

I have the D-Link DBT-120 usb dongle for my TiBook, which I got from Apple's site.

It worked in perfect harmony with my Sony Ericsson t610.

I can't comment on its compatibility with Apple's BT keyboard and mouse, but would assume
    that it would work just fine.

6. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

I just bought a Belkin 802.11B wireless USB network kit for my slot loading iMac for $20, since I didn't feel like shelling out over $100 for a used Airport card. To my surprise, it works perfectly. Its not pretty, but hey, its cheap and it works.