Creating "best of" DVD from ripped clips with subtitles?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jewel, Jun 1, 2006.

1. jewel macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2006
    Hi -
    I apologize if this is a repeat, but I have searched and can't find anything that exactly matches my question. Here goes:

I have several foreign films. I want to rip clips of these, with subtitles, and create a "best of DVD" for my own personal viewing. (All legally purchased DVDs.)

I bought Cinematize and can rip exactly the clips I want. However, it creates the subtitles in a separate .sub file. I have just come back to the Mac world from the PC side, and have a new MacBook with iMovie and iDVD. Neither of those programs recognizes the .sub file. I've downloaded sub2srt, and that doesn't help either.

Any ideas on what tools are available (cheaper is better) to take the Cinematize output (best quality available) and add the English subtitles?

I tried Handbrake, but the video quality was less than stellar. Output will be on a flatscreen TV, so the quality is important.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.
  2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    Hmmmm, youll probably have to do a bit more googling than me, but DVDSP might be able to use those files.

DVD authoring is not as simple as creating a power point presentation.

you need to get your clips from the DVDs, using Cinematize etc, those will give you either MPG2 or .VOB video files and your .sub files.

Youll then need to create a DVD, in DVDSP, create your own menu, import the clips and the subs and create your own DVD.

Im not sure if you know all there is about creating a DVD, but its not just cut n paste.
  3. RedTomato macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    I'm deaf and I like watching films with subtitles on my Powerbook 15.

Some DVDs (e.g. David Lynch's Blue Velvet) don't come with subtitles so I found some on the internet and tried to marry them to the DVD.

It's been a real nightmare - apparently OSX doesn't deal with fan-made subtitles anything as well as the PC world.

Most fan-sub applications seem to be made by the anime fraternity who all run windows.

VLC is the only thing that seems to deal halfway with subtitles, and it has its own set of subtitle problems, only reconises some files, and is difficult to set up for font / positioning / size.

xoox ..RedTomato..
  4. jewel thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2006

Thanks for the tips. I'll research these further!