Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alawrence101

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
I've been using QuicKeys for quite a while now to do basic global keyboard shortcuts (things like telling iTunes to pause, etc.). I just recently noticed that the OS has keyboard shortcuts built into the system preferences.

If this can just replace what I've been doing with QuicKeys, that would be great - I think it's almost always better to do something through the built in way than through third party apps that may mess with your system. Anyways, I'd like to know if anyone has managed to use this feature to make useful keyboard shortcuts yourself and if I can use it to make a global keyboard shortcut to pause/skip track/etc. in iTunes (so that I can quickly hit a key combination while using any program).

I've tried messing around with the feature a bit, and I couldn't really get it working. It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to create a keyboard shortcut for when iTunes is actually the active application, but I'd really love to have a shortcut that will work no matter which program is active.

Any suggestions?

alawrence101

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
That's a shame. Seems like a pretty easy thing to build in considering the keyboard shortcuts pref pane they already have built in.

Thanks for the help, though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.