Creating data CD's.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by thevans1, Feb 3, 2006.

1. thevans1 macrumors newbie

Hello. I wanted to know if it's possible to create data CD's or 'dirty disks' on a Mac. Basically, someone told me today it's possible to store and play hundred's of songs on 1 CD if the file format is set to 'data file' not 'mp3'. I was wondering if this is possible using iTunes, or is it only possible on a PC?

Thanks in advance.

:)

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > Burning > data cd

incidentally, if you've ripped your music in AAC this is the only way to get lots of tracks onto a disk, because MP3 CD will only burn mp3 files, and Audio CD is uncompressed (ie about 70 minutes) - but you'll only be able to play them back on a computer (PC or Mac), whereas lots of DVD and CD players will now play MP3 CDs

3. thevans1 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > Importing >Import Using

The default is AAC. It has 128 kbps for music as the defualt. You can change it to the default MP3 one or customize it to your own bit rate for either.

5. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

sorry - i didn't mean AAC is the only way to get lots of tracks onto a disk, MP3 will do it too, it's just if you have used AAC to rip your music, you can't make MP3 disks from the files without converting them to MP3 first

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

True, there is no real official format for ripping and encoding. I stick with AAC since most of my friends either have Macs, iTunes, or VLC/WinAmp to play them back. I like the file size too.

Let's not drag in crazy elitist with the OGG and FLAC.

7. thevans1 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK Guys, I think I understand what you're talking about.... but I really have no clue when it comes to stuff like this. :( (I really appreciate your help)

I have songs in my iTunes already.... they are all in mp3. I just change the options burn data CDs and that's it?

How many songs (roughly) can be stored on a normal blank CD?

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If your songs are already in MP3 format a data CD will burn a CD of mp3 files. I can fit around 200 songs onto a 700 MB CD.

9. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

without wishing to confuse you further - yes you can just burn a data cd, but because they're all mp3s you have the additional option of burning an mp3 cd. it won't fit any more tracks on it but it will play back in a lot of newer models of dvd and cd players (which the data cd won't)

10. thevans1 thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean it won't play anymore tracks than a NORMAL CD or Data CD?

So to recap :eek: I could create an MP3 CD that would store about 200 songs on and play in most CD players? :)

11. croshtique macrumors 6502

Maybe not 'most' CD players - quite a few new CD players would be able to play MP3 CDs, specifically DVD players for example. These players will probably have a 'Mp3 CD' logo or somesuch. Just don't expect a 5 year old discman or car stereo to be able to play them.

12. thevans1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh no... I don't really need them for that.

I need to.... uhhh, TRANSFER them onto another PC. ;)

Can I say that here? :eek:

13. croshtique macrumors 6502

A Data CD is what you want then. Just change the setting in Preferences > Advanced > Burning. Then make the playlist of the songs you want to burn (keeping an eye on the size in MB of the playlist so you can fit it onto one CD)and click the 'burn' button at the top right. iTunes will let you know if you need more than one disc to copy the songs onto.

14. thevans1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If it's under 4.4 GB and you have a DVD Burner I'd just drag your iTunes Music folder into a Burn Folder and do it that way. That is if your Library is consolidated that way.