Creating Network with WEP doesn't work in Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neocell, Jun 12, 2005.

1. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I have a iMac and Powerbook and have previously shuffled large files between them by creating a network, going to system preferences, clicking on the share files option and then logging in with the other computer. Yesterday was the first time I've tried this with Tiger and I noticed an 'options' button when setting up the network. I clicked it, was interesed to see a WEP option, set a WEP password and then went to connected my PowerBook to it. Well my PowerBook wouldn't see my iMac in the Network pane. Finder on my PowerBook would change to 'not responding' and I'd have to relaunch. Tried with both 40 and 128 WEP with the same results. I had to resart my iMac and go to a regular unprotected network in order to get my PowerBook to recognize (find) it. Just wondering what has changed between the protected and regular networks and if I need to do something different in the setup to enable this option? Thanks for any help.

2. amartins02 macrumors newbie

Setup wep on the router and setup the password. On both macs connect to the network and put in the password with a $ sign at the begining. Should wrok then.

3. neocell thread starter macrumors 65816

neocell

I'm not using a router, just computer to computer connection and transfer