Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chansey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
I am writing an essay and I would like to have my table of contents show up in the sidebar instead och just the page numbers. Take a look at the example image I attach and you will see what I mean.

Thanks

Attachments

• Bild 2.png
    Bild 2.png
    44 KB · Views: 276

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Someone correct me if wrong, but I don't think you can do this with the OSX "save as PDF" option. The only way I know it works automatically is to use Acrobat, exporting from something like MS Word in which you have defined all the heading styles e.g. chapter title, sub-headings.

Chansey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
We have all pro apps at school so if you could tell me how to do it in acrobat pro i would be very happy!

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
In acrobat pro you can do this simply by selecting a piece of text that you want to use a title for that page (the text has to be on the same page), right clicking, and selecting 'Add Bookmark'. It a bookmark will then appear in the bookmark tab and have the text you selected as the title for that page.

.adam

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Acrobat Professional has a Help menu.

I'm sure 90% of the questions asked on this site could be solved by consulting the help menu. I suggest you act as the Forum Police and ensure that everybody checks help before posting. Or you could just not post if it doesn't add anything to the topic, whatever is easier.

Chansey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
In acrobat pro you can do this simply by selecting a piece of text that you want to use a title for that page (the text has to be on the same page), right clicking, and selecting 'Add Bookmark'. It a bookmark will then appear in the bookmark tab and have the text you selected as the title for that page.

Thank you!

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
use PDFOutliner

PDFOutliner can *automatically* build a table of contents for a PDF by analyzing the fonts used inside the PDF. then, use powerful keyboard shortcuts to quickly finetune the TOC to your liking. PDFOutliner is a $5 app on the Mac App Store.

disclaimer - I am the developer of PDFOutliner

hmilby

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
Really?

And thus why you bumped a thread 3+ years after the last post, just to plug your own stuff. Not cool.

I'm very thankful he did. It saved me from paying an outside guy $1,100 to do the same thing I did in two hours after downloading this app. If someone has a product that works in the situation, I don't care if he is promoting it or not. In the end he is promoting a solution, which is what I thought this forum is about.

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
And thus why you bumped a thread 3+ years after the last post, just to plug your own stuff. Not cool.

Why do you think that's "Not cool"?

It might not be cool without the disclaimer - but I think this was perfectly reasonable as it was done.

Josh83

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
PDFOutliner can *automatically* build a table of contents for a PDF by analyzing the fonts used inside the PDF. then, use powerful keyboard shortcuts to quickly finetune the TOC to your liking. PDFOutliner is a $5 app on the Mac App Store.

Thanks a lot, this app is perfectly what I need! Very useful hint.

skillets

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011

Thank you very much, I just bought the app and it was just what I was looking for without all the bulk of a much more expensive app!

PaulRiehl

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2012

THANK YOU FOR THIS! I've found workarounds for everything else for which I need Adobe Acrobat Pro; this was the one deal-killer with every PDF app I could find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.