Creating screen savers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by quidire, Aug 21, 2004.

1. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Hello all,

The idea of having mpeg (or quicktime etc) video on loop as a screen saver* seems appealing to me; does anyone have any ideas for how to do it?

It seems that the easiest mechanism would be to simple set up a wrapper that used a generallized video playing API, but I have no experience w/ Cocoa yet, and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction...

Would this be of interest to anyone else (development and/or use)?

* Some measure would have to be taken to ensure the lack of burn-in on the edges of the video display... perhaps random patterns, perhaps the video box can move around the screen... vital stats can be displayed in the blank spaces...

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

screensavers are no longer useful in actually preventing screen burn, it takes years for a modern day display to burn. Screensavers are a remnant that only serve as entertainment value. So don't worry about that part...

paul

3. Sneeper macrumors regular

Sneeper

We've got monitors with burn in at work. Big 21" Apple CRT monitors. They are a few years old, but you'd want your monitor to last a few years. It definitely still happens.