Creating .txt file

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scan, Nov 28, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

i opened the text editor and i want to make a .txt file. How would I do this? it doesn't give me that extension in the option

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If you create a file and 'Save As' the only two formats you can get are RTF and Word. It will read .txt files, but you'll need another app to create a .txt file. Word will, just select that option.

D

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

thx.

4. tag
    macrumors 6502a

tag

When you initially open TextEdit your text file will be saved as .rtf (Rich Text Format, which allows colors styling and all that jazz ;))

If you want just a regular .txt file, Click 'Format' from the menubar, and choose 'Make Plain Text'. Now when you save your text file it will be in plain text .txt format in whatever encoding you choose at the save menu (ie, western, UTF-8 ...etc..)

5. macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Keyboard shortcut: shift + command and t

6. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Also, for text files, don't use TextEdit, despite it's name it's really not a good text editor. Go for one of TextWrangler or SubEthaEdit, both are free and much better at handling all kinds of text files. :)

7. macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

How is TextEdit a bad text editor? It works faultlessly...

8. tag
    macrumors 6502a

tag

Yeah it seems alot think textedit is like document creating scum or something. ;) (kidding) I mean while its not nearly as feature rich with options and stuff like SubEthaEdit or vim (or I guess even TextWrangler though I have never used that one personally, downloading it now though :D ), TextEdit I think is great for just quick notes or larger file touchups or a quick copy and paste to save. If you are writing code or anything though then yeah you'll probably want something more feature rich like the aforementioned apps. Though I have to say, dispite having a bunch of different editors, its nice to just use something simple and easy like TextEdit. Thats my opinion anyways.

9. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

TextEdit is great for making/reading rtf files and even simple doc files. Nice support for the most important formatting, and could be the only word processor you really need.

It's just that as a text editor, for text files (txt, html, php, etc.) it's just not nearly as good as the above mentioned editors. It also has a tendency to revert back to rich text format when you edit e.g. html files and it has, on more than one occasion, messed up files I've worked on to do small changes (this was after BBEdit Lite just didn't cut it any more, and before TextWrangler became freeware and I discovered SubEthaEdit, when I actually tried using TextEdit as my main text editor... ;)).

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all suggestions for a Text Editor but it looks like I wouldn't even need the text editor. I'll just use Xcode because I wanted to use it for coding C programs I find Xcode really neat. It is easy to use and has a few simple features that I like.

11. macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Odd. I've never run into any problems when editing HTML/PHP/CSS in TextEdit - and I use it al the time!
    The only thing I do wish it had for code editing was colours!

12. macrumors 68030

superbovine

from terminal:

Code:
    touch me.txt

13. macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Or simply:
    Code:
    touch me
    :D

14. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Every time you touch yourself, God makes a .txt file. :D

[​IMG]

15. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Must resist urge to make fun of myself by pointing out my MacRumors rank and this photo I posted in another thread.

16. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*swoons* I think that's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. :D