Creation of Forums in iWeb or .Mac....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spencecb, Nov 7, 2006.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003
    Here is the situation...

Is there a way to create a forum on my .Mac website? I use iWeb to upload content to it, and I know there is nothing in iWeb that will allow you to create a forum.

Are there any mods to download to give you this capability? What about another way to upload this type of content to a .Mac website?

I need this capability for a school project. My group is creating a forum, and I would love to use my website for the forum.

Please let me know if there is way to make this happen!
  2. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003
    Anyone? Any help at all would really help me out.
  3. dwishbone macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2002
    On the Moon
    there are plenty of free php/mysql based BB systems out there. problem is that .Mac doesnt give you access to most web technologies other than the basics. as far as i can tell there is no way to create forums using the .Mac service. you'd have to host your forums on a seperate server.
  4. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003
    I'm kind of disappointed with the help I get on this forum sometimes. It seems as if the people that ask the most obvious or stupid questions are the only people who get responses.

This is not directed at dwishbone, as he is actually trying to help.

There have to be other people out there that know more about what I am looking for.

I would really appreciate some help.
  5. jonharris200 macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2006
    London, UK
    i think dwishbone is right. you'll need to create a forum using a third-party provider and link to it from your iWeb or .Mac site.

in the past i've used Snitz Forums which are very well established and popular - though you need to host the forum on your own webspace/servers, i believe.

there are probably many others that host your database of members and messages for you. just Google 'free forums' or something.

hope that's helpful.
  6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    You can't really do a Web forum without server-side support. That's why you haven't been getting answers.

It might be possible to cobble some custom app together and point it at iDisk, but to allow posting you would have to give any forum participants write access to the shared directory. Any forum member would be able to wipe out the whole thing, either accidentally or intentionally.
  7. Squiggy macrumors newbie

Oct 15, 2006
    If you decide to get a free forum, I strongly advise you to NOT consider one from ForumUp ( FU forums are really crummy, and you are unable to edit the code. Not to mention the downtime...