Creative Labs Xmod USB Sound Module For Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RMD68, Feb 8, 2007.

1. RMD68 macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2007
    I was wondering if anyone owns/owned or has any experience with the Creative Labs Xmod USB Sound Module For MAC. It sounds interesting and for $55 if it does the trick it could be quite a buy. Also, does anyone have any ideas on soundcards etc. that would add to gaming and most importantly music which are Mac compatible. Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    It's not an X-Fi in that it does nothing for games. It's a competent USB soundcard which has some party tricks up it's sleeve in the 'Crystalizer' - to me an annoying 'enhancement' but to others a noticeable improvement. It's different to, but similar in result to, BBE/SRS sound enhancement + an adaptive EQ.

There are no Mac soundcards that can enhance gaming in terms of handling environmental effects, etc.
  3. RMD68 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2007
    So I guess gaming is out. However, is there anything that will add to my music? Is this device a good buy? Is the enhancement noticable? Are there any better options out there for music? Any help is appreciated.
  4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    If you are using only iTunes, you can get a software plugin for it that enhances the sound. For instance the plugin from Octiv labs. If you want to enhance every sound and have deep pockets, you can use a soundprocessor that they use in broadcast, like an Omnia or an Orban.