Creative people are just high functioning schizophrenics

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, Jun 1, 2010.

1. macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002

Well that explains a lot. :D
  2. macrumors 68000

Jan 19, 2010
    North Hollywood, CA
    I'm pretty creative. I've let my mind go a little insane at times. Although not in a while. But when I was around 19, I would try to explore my slightly psychotic self (while alone). I didn't do drugs at that time. They were only thoughts. It was a good thing. I know myself a little better because of it. I still get a little crazy (but not in a good way) when I'm enraged.

I think this study is on to something.
  3. macrumors 65816

Sep 28, 2007
    Just goes to show how little we really understand about how the brain works.
  4. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    People often say that "creative types" are just a little bit nuts.

People with mental issues have been drawn to writing, art, etc.

Can't say I ever linked those two things together before.

Either I'm not creative as I thought, or as schizophrenic as I thought. :p
  5. macrumors 68020

Mar 29, 2009
    A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  6. macrumors 601

Aug 14, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Be careful in how you interpret and apply the results of studies like this. You have to understand that all psychological research is a mixture of qulitative and quantitative study. They must take the concept or focus of the study and "operationally define" it in order to be able to set up an experiment through which they can gain data for analysis.

In this study they chose to define creativity in this manner:

So, for the purpose of this study creativity was directly linked to problem solving. More specifically it was narrowed to how the test(s) used was designed to measure and define problem solving.

While this is good in that it allows for quantitative study of an abstract concept, just recognize that what they call creativity, may not fit your definition of the concept.