Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
yac_moda said:
Uuuuu :confused: I have a question for CAN YOU READ :eek:

I SAID, "Its not much of a change !"

AND I was getting MORE EXCITED by the apparent stock price manipulation leading up to this, I know that is a streeeeech, but the last few weeks have been VERRRRRY unusual ...

... and YOU did NOT read or did not read careful so YOU missed my point :eek: THUS you did not make YOUR point :eek:

SO I WAS THE ONE THAT DID THE BUTT KICKING :D

HAhahahaha!

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding...."Ladies and gentlemen, In this corner we have...."

hey yac, i think he was just sorta messing around, no big deal.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
yac_moda said:
YOU DON"T think Apple loosing its legal director of MANY YEARS is a BIG DEAL --> you don't know about investing :eek: :eek: :eek:
I know that stocks rise and fall based on the fears of people ignorant of what is actually happening and the spread of FUD... which is why I know enough not to invest. Besides, Apple is a corporation... and though I like Apple products, I'm suspicious about any corporation.

Uuuuu :confused: I have a question for CAN YOU READ :eek:
Only what was posted before I've started writing. Anything else would require mind reading... and your mind is just not that interesting (though it does seem to be an open book :D ).

SO I WAS THE ONE THAT DID THE BUTT KICKING :D
If what you're posting is considered butt kicking, then you get the prize.

beatle888 said:
I saw that coming a mile away, down to the post and member. but thats just the beginning. it gets better.
Well, I'm bowing out... too many high emotions here, I like well thought out arguments (when I haven't been working all day ;) ) and this isn't that fun (specially with someone whose caps lock seems to be getting stuck).

Maybe someone from Creative will post! That would be interesting.

:rolleyes: I'll have to check in tomorrow to see.

yac_moda

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2002
beatle888 said:
HAhahahaha!

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding...."Ladies and gentlemen, In this corner we have...."

hey yac, i think he was just sorta messing around, no big deal.

YOu know me I am ALWAYS messin ;)

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
I honestly don't think there will be any issues with apple and there ipods. If worse comes to worse they would have to change a few things on there product (apple would) so they can pay the fine and continue to sell ipods with better looking interface :D

Then we have to go buy 2x the new ipods to help support apple and there lawsuit ;)

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
RacerX said:
Maybe someone from Creative will post! That would be interesting.

:rolleyes: I'll have to check in tomorrow to see.

that would be. someone posted a creative email address here if you want it.

take it easy. always fun to be on the boards when you stop by.

yac_moda

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2002
Uuuu major changes to the bottom of Apple's front page :eek: ...

"Important Safety Recall of rechargeable batteries for 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch and 15-inch PowerBook G4."

And Apple stores now have a popup at the bottom.

OK so here is my prediction then of WHAT THIS IS ABOUT ...

Apple will announce a new MACiBOOK tomorrow and it will have a Blue Ray burner in it JUST LIKE xBox !?!?!?!?

It will be VERY VERY popular.

That is why Sony announced the Vaio with BR today, and this news came out today because BAD news is always announced be for good news SO THAT IT IS FORGOTTEN.

But this will be the FIRST store wide roll out announcement, which was sort of predicted last week.

If they don't do it this week they will do it NeXT week :eek: :confused: :eek:

http://www.apple.com/jp/retail/nagoyasakae/week/20060514.html

smacsteve

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN.
Nomad is a HD MP3 Player and was before the iPod

macEfan said:
lol, Im sure that is true... everyone seems to be trying to sue apple... but Im sure the first creative MP3 players were not hard drives based.... weren't they like 16mb multimedia cards?

Although I don't think Creative has a case and I think there description is so broad stroked that it could apply to just about every MP3 player on the market! This is a joke and should be thrown out of the court with the judge laughing!

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
I'm so sick and tired of people failing to beat Apple with their products, so they try to beat them in the court room. SHUT UP AND JUST MAKE A PRODUCT THAT'S BETTER! If you can't, then do something else.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2005
hrm I can safely say I don’t even care about this suit :p sounds kind of stupid if u ask me

With that said I still prefer my creative zen micro I got over an ipod. Its does what its designed to do which is be an mp3 player. I could care less about an mp3 player being able to play videos, etc because that’s what a portable laptop is for. I just see the screens on ipods being to small to watch movies on. I Only wish it had a larger HD. One major thing that annoys me about the ipod is the fact that batteries aren’t replaceable as opposed to most of the creative players(however that seems to be changing lately). I tend to be the type to keep my gadgets around as long as possible along with constant use. also at the time I got my micro I had a friend with a ipod and my micro seemed to produce much more realistic sound playing the same mp3s on both players with my Sennheiser headphones.

With that said I think creative is really starting to shoot them in the foot recently with newer modules. For one they are starting to go to internal batteries as well. Also they use closed source firmware while apple is more open. I'm sure in terms of sound quality the ipod has equaled or even surpassed the creative players. No doubt that the itunes works way better then Creative’s junk software with wmp. Heck I dont even use it I just drag and drop my music onto the player using playsforsure which basically makes it look like a removable drive(not the best method lots of areas for screw ups mainly in id3 tags)The only advantage I see creative having now is the fact that their products are priced lower then ipods. Creative has definitely lost it lately and it looks like this might be there last effort to get some market share back when instead they should actually be focusing on improving their product.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
this will get kicked out due to the time it has taken them to sue

2001 - 2006 mmm let me see how about sueing when the original ipod was around and then maybe they might of had a case

but no.. we will wait until apple have sold every man women and child an ipod then try to sue

Creative a?? whats so creative about that:D

yac_moda

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2002
THAT is the way its done they wait to see how the patent does, if its popular THEN they can justify sueing :mad:

:eek: I FIGURED IT OUT :eek: I FIGURED IT OUT :eek: I FIGURED IT OUT :eek:

They could NOT decide when EXACTLY to release the new MACiBOOK <-- they decided to THREAD THE NEEDLE :eek:

They waited until just after graduation so that people that might buy the PRO for their kids for graduation WOULD and now with the new MACiBOOKi will be so HOT and CHEAP, hopefully many will still buy it a week late :eek: :)

The 18th will be the wireless video iPod :eek:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Creative know they haven't a hope of getting a settlement. Lawsuits, injunctions and the like are usually designed to tie people and companies down and force them to waste time and resources defending themselves.

This is about trying to slow the juggernaut.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Creative was once creative?
"As reported, the interface defined by Creative's Zen patent allows for browsing of music in a hierarchical structure, using categories like Artist, Album, and Genre. They beat Apple to the patent by about a year and a half, but regardless, this method of interface is used in most MP3 players today. It certainly seems like Creative is shooting for the stars by attempting to halt iPod production and sales, but hey, aren't most big-name lawsuits always this brash?"

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Dear Creative,

Please find enclosed the sum offer of settlement on behalf of the iPod users of the world in response to your claim of patent infringement.

PKCC4693.JPG

If these don't comfort you I offer simply a few word of advice:

"Your stuff doesn't sell because your stuff isn't that good."

Sincerely Yours,
Chundles
3 iPods and counting.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Chundles said:
Dear Creative,

Please find enclosed the sum offer of settlement on behalf of the iPod users of the world in response to your claim of patent infringement.

PKCC4693.JPG

If these don't comfort you I offer simply a few word of advice:

"Your stuff doesn't sell because your stuff isn't that good."

Sincerely Yours,
Chundles
3 iPods and counting.

Creative just could be getting excited about all that money they could be getting :D

hence the tissues:rolleyes:

Buzbe

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
WildCowboy said:
Creative filed their patent in January 2001, well before Apple shipped any iPods.

If apple prove they came up with the management system independent of creative then they shouldnt have a problem. The patent only covers the idea if its copied - not if its built independently - without knowledge of the patent or idea

irobot2003

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2003
California
Indeed, the heirarchy is shown in it's entirety... unlike the iPod interface where only one level is shown at any given time. Also, as someone else noted, the scheme is less flexible than the iPod approach and is specifically limited to 3 display modes. The Creative interface in the patent actually bears more resemblance to the current iTines interface than the iPod. A UI patent is a design patent... look and feel details are essential. The other issue is that the iPod is no longer strictly an audio player... I think if Apple has some reasonably good lawyers they should be ok.

From another post it's pretty obvious that Creative is copying the iPod interface, I wonder if came about because Apple threatened Creative about that...

Richard Bleiche said:
Zeke et al: Look at the image in the patent. It also specifies "a method of...."

Well if you look at the image, their "method of" is a Windows 'Tree' with [+] 's and [–] 's for expansion of the tree and buttons on the right side of the screen. Definitely not similar to the graphical interface on the iPod.

RJB

Stiivi said:
Well, then ... the column view (browser view) has been in NeXTSTEP (1) since 1989. Apple acquired NeXT in the mid-90s.

Moreover! Filtering data using a column view is also quite old. It has been used in data-warehousing as way of drilling (2). In the music player it is nothing more, nothing less: it is drilling-down through your song database.

(1) http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/vpc/images/nextstep.jpg

(2) http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/drill_down.html

A patent can also refer to the novel use of existing technology - applying such a method in a new domain (media player) could well qualify.

And the point you make about filtering the data is important - not the column view. Unless someone is going to how me something really cool I didn't know about my Mac, I can't use column view to perform this sort of filtering - it works on Files and Directories in the file system, not meta-data contained in / describing the files (I don't about the actual implementation details of the SmallTalk object browser but this remains a different application).

Ironically, the more I read this thread, the more I am beginning to think Creative might have a case - it is different from a simple column view, it is a novel application of filtering data that solves a specific problem.

I wouldn't have thought that Apple copied Creative but patent law does not allow for simultaneous or independent invention. But the laws we have are the laws we have until we change them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.