Creative Suite or Studio MX? Or both? Or RAM? Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mariahlullaby, Aug 26, 2005.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

My mom has received a great deal to buy software using Edu discounts (and products on sale). The sale ends on August 31st. Since switching to Mac, I have been without true software to do work on; I've been living off trial versions and Paint Shop Pro on the PC to do work, but as I get more jobs, I need to have something to get the work done. I do a lot of web design, graphic editing/design, and web work.

My mother, being the generous woman that she is, said she would buy me a Wacom Graphire (the basic 4x5 one for $89) to help out (I have bought all my software, computer, etc. myself). Anyways, what should I put my money towards?

-Adobe Creative Suite CS2 ($384); This is a must for Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. I also like Go Live but have limited experience with it (used a trial version). How's it as a main web authoring software?

-Macromedia Studio MX ($189); This has Flash, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, etc. I am much more comfortable using Dreamweaver, though I usually do most work by hand. I am interested in learning Flash, but I think that can come later. Is this price worth the set?

-1 GB of RAM from DataMem ($144); My computer will explode, I think, if I run all these on 512 of RAM, so I think upgrading is a must.

I am very hesitant to spend $800 right now as I have a limited income and am trying to save up for a senior trip right now. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get from this list?

THANKS!

2. paperinacup macrumors 6502

3. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Well how much ram do you have now?

Do you use Photoshop and Illustrator more than Macromedia?

Kinda have to weigh your options if your on a fixed income.

4. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Right now I'm on 512 MB of RAM (stock). I would add a 1 GB stick, bringing it up to 1.25 GB.

I definitely use Photoshop the most out of any of the products, but I also use (some) type of web authoring software to supplement it. I have little experience with Macromedia outside of Dreamweaver (and even that, I don't have that much -- I've never owned my own copy).

I'm thinking of going with Creative Suite, Wacom tablet, and RAM.

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I'd go with your gut. That's a great price for CS. Is that the Standard or Premium edition? If Premium (w/ Go Live) it's even better. And the RAM and tablet will come in very handy, too. But then, I'm partial to Adobe software. Not good with it, just partial to it. ;) :)

6. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Yes, it's the Premium edition :). I love Adobe products as well; and I'm hesitant to buy Macromedia packages at the moment since The Buyout...and I can always get it later.

Thanks for you advice :). I love this site!

7. benwa02 macrumors 6502

CS2 suite (since you sound like you would use this more), RAM (very important/must-have).

I believe Dreamweaver is far better than GoLive. IMO.

I will recommend you a site and you can get Adobe CS2 Edu suite for $369
    This CS2 comes with: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, GoLive, Bridge, Version Cue
    MX2004 - $189

https://www.academic-collegiate.com/

I purchased CS2 suite and MX2004 and everything worked out fine. They will pick up the phone and let you know how your order is going.

8. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Well, I took a look at how much money I have and decided I could afford it -- so I bought them all. I really like -- and use -- these products (and the Studio MX gives you a free upgrade to Studio 8 in September). I also got the RAM (1 GB stick).

Can't wait to get the stuff!! Thanks for all the help :) :).

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hate to be a spoiler, but some Education software is prohibited from being used for commercial work. The license agreement for Macromedia says that the moment you use Educational software for a paying job, you owe Macromedia the difference between the Education price and the retail price.

"Education Editions of Macromedia products may be used for instructional purposes by students, teachers, and faculty, but may not be used for any commercial or revenue-generating activities."

10. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Get the RAM for sure.

Only buy the software if you need it....

11. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Get the RAM, then decide whether you need Photoshop more, or Dreamweaver/Flash. I need all three, personally!

12. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

How do "they" know if the project was done using software with an educational license?

That was one of the sticking points for me when I purchased CS and MX2004. Do I purchase knowing that I could very well be restricted or just purchase the ED. and let it be done with. Well, here I am with the ED. version and am quite happy.