Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC

hacurio1

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2002
Re: Creative to introduce 60GB player this month for $399

Originally posted by lmalave
http://news.com.com/2110-1041_3-999347.html?tag=cdshrt

Hmm...this will put Creative back where it was when it introduced the original 20GB Zen for less than Apple's 10GB iPod (then the largest). On the other hand, the iPod has always outsold the Zen. Even though the 60GB player was announced on May 1 to steal Apple's thunder, it didn't dampen sales of the iPod. 20,000 were purchased retail and another 110,000 ordered:

http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-999701.html?tag=lh

Cool...but even I can't see the use of 60GB (I have 6500+ songs). I know you can also use it as a HD, but that is not its main purpouse. Its good to see competition though, because as long there is competiotion out there our beloved ipods will get better and better.

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
you know why the iPods better? The iPod easily fits in a pocket. the Zen is the size of a small bus :p:D:p

herr_neumann

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Roseville, Ca
I could actually fill that up over a week or two. Right now I have ~20GB of music on my hd and about the same burnt.... THis might be something I need to look into. iPod is just out of my price range for the size.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
pc gamer said the zen is good if cant afford a an ipod. the 60gb is nice but you have to use creatives software to get it to act as a hard drive, it doenst show up as an external hd like the ipod.

iJon

iWantAMac

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
AUS
I don't think I would never use a 60GB HD in a portable jukebox. A 15GB iPod would (will, rather :cool:) be sufficient enough for me. It'd be interesting to see what this thing looks like, but I doubt it'd be nicer than the iPods... it just wouldn't be. :D

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
This pisses me off. You get 45 extra GB for the same price as a 15GB iPod? I know my PC friends are going to buy one of these just to get back at me for showing off my new ipod for few days now. Lets also not forget that the 30GB iPod is slightly bigger and heavier than the lower models.

Apple stuff is great and all, but this is just too much of a price difference.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by AndrewMT
This pisses me off. You get 45 extra GB for the same price as a 15GB iPod? I know my PC friends are going to buy one of these just to get back at me for showing off my new ipod for few days now. Lets also not forget that the 30GB iPod is slightly bigger and heavier than the lower models.

Apple stuff is great and all, but this is just too much of a price difference.
uh no, the ipod is a work of art, ive played witht the zen and its nothing to get excited about. let your pc friends buy one, let them enjoy their new brick. its heavier , not as pretty, thicker, no touch sensitive buttons, no sroll, what are you so worried about, if the price is to much how come its the number 1 mp3 player in the world, sounds like they are doing something right, apparently money isnt your problem, because you own an ipod, something else drew you to the ipod, the stuff that hasnt drawn you to the zen.

iJon

dornball

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2003
Denver, CO.
Originally posted by iJon
uh no, the ipod is a work of art, ive played witht the zen and its nothing to get excited about. let your pc friends buy one, let them enjoy their new brick. its heavier , not as pretty, thicker, no touch sensitive buttons, no sroll, what are you so worried about, if the price is to much how come its the number 1 mp3 player in the world, sounds like they are doing something right, apparently money isnt your problem, because you own an ipod, something else drew you to the ipod, the stuff that hasnt drawn you to the zen.

iJon

right on! could not have said it better my self.

i have a july 2002 ipod and i love it. the ease of use is incredible. i use it mainly for music, but also to transport files, to references numbers/address in the field...etc.

the ipod is a beautiful piece of work; and excellent combination of form and function.

-dornball

mim

macrumors 6502
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Size doesn't matter!

It's what you can do with it....:cool:

So true!

If you want a huge lump in your bag that you can use to fend off would be muggers, the Zen is for you.

If you want a curvey white lush gorgeous friend to cuddle up to in the middle of the night....

Umm <gulp> right. iPods, was it?
Just get one!

a.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Re: It's not bad...

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
picture here

That's quite nice actually, not as bad as some other iPod ripoffs, if it were a bit thinner, supported AAC and used Firewire rather than USB 2.0 I might consider it if I'm in the market for a new portable music player.
attachment.php

Does anyone know if this uses a 2.5" drive rather than a 1.8" like the iPod uses?

shawnjackson

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by iJon
its heavier , not as pretty, thicker, no touch sensitive buttons, no sroll, what are you so worried about, if the price is to much how come its the number 1 mp3 player in the world, sounds like they are doing something right, apparently money isnt your problem, because you own an ipod, something else drew you to the ipod, the stuff that hasnt drawn you to the zen.

iJon

dude... sentences and complete thoughts are your friend.

shawnjackson

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
Re: Re: It's not bad...

Originally posted by vniow
That's quite nice actually, not as bad as some other iPod ripoffs, if it were a bit thinner, supported AAC and used Firewire rather than USB 2.0 I might consider it if I'm in the market for a new portable music player.
attachment.php

Does anyone know if this uses a 2.5" drive rather than a 1.8" like the iPod uses?

actually it uses the same 1.8" hard drives OEM'd from toshiba.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by shawnjackson
dude... sentences and complete thoughts are your friend.
why do you care, is this english class now.

iJon

Re: Re: It's not bad...

attachment.php

They do have a firewire version...

Originally posted by mim
So true!

If you want a huge lump in your bag that you can use to fend off would be muggers, the Zen is for you.

If you want a curvey white lush gorgeous friend to cuddle up to in the middle of the night....

Umm <gulp> right. iPods, was it?
Just get one!

a.

Huge lump? That's silly. It's still pretty small, especially considering it holds twice as much music as the iPod.

We are talking about an mp3 player here, right? So functionality should be more important than if you want to have sex with it, right?

Ease up. Companies other that Apple are allowed to make good (or even great) products... - j

Re: Re: Re: Re: It's not bad...

Oh they do?

I saw something on their site for Firewire, but I thought it was for a different model...

I am making an assumption of course. The 20gig Zen had a Firewire option and the reference to the 60 gig leads to the aforementioned page.

Either way, my 20 min. walk to work each day isn't enough to justify one of these OR an iPod. Of course, if I had enough money not to need justification...:)

- j

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
Yes, I'm making an assumption also, but the difference between a 90 day warranty and a 1 year warranty is a big deal.

edit: cleent up fer da grammer poaleece

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.