Creative Video iPod Killer (again)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by tutubibi, Dec 7, 2005.

1. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

Creative is making another attempt to create "iPod Killer" :D .
    This time it is direct run on new video iPods.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/07/creative_vision-m/

I am getting tired of every new device being called "iPod Killer" but I actually think this Creative Vision:M is promising device. Not iPod killer but worthy competitor, at least on the hardware front. While it does not have iTunes infrastructure to support it, Vision:M does support DivX/XviD which is a big plus in my eyes. If they only priced this thing somewhat cheaper than iPod, I would consider it.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

yeah i read that on engadget this morning , that interface looks the same as another well known brand :D

Attached Files:

• zenn.jpg
      zenn.jpg
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
  3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

GREEN! WOW i'm switching!

really, I now want a green ipod!

I doubt it will be a "killer" but they will certainly grab some bidness from apple if the price is right. it supports more video codec, perhaps apple will update this on the ipod to keep pace??

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

This is a lot thicker than the iPod and looks almost like something made by Fisher Price....with iPod style inspiration. I'm sure it will do okay, but not an iPod killer.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Creative took pains to copy the iPod's style and interface as much as possible whilst at the same time deftly dancing around legal issues.

6. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

A technique used all the time, quite often in music on TV shows, they change it enough so they don't have to pay royalties :)

7. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Damn.

I actually thought Creative was going somewhere with design. The Nomad looked like a retro tape player, the Zen Touch looked okay... I really liked the Zen Sleek look-wise. Not as good as my black iPod video, but certainly not bad.

Now they've just screwed up again.

8. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I doubt these guys have an original idea in their heads. They keep touting they are major competitors to Apple's iPod yet they rip off the concept and design and produce something cheap and nasty that really doesn't deliver as well as promised in any case.

Maybe blatant copying of other people's hard work and devotion to technology should be punishable in Singapore? Seems the only language they understand over there, anyone have a noose handy? :p

9. crazyjoeda macrumors member

It looks like a thicker iPod with awkward controles and less sytle. On the plus it looks like it will have a longer battery life for video and does support divx.

10. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

WOW, look at that battery meter/menu design! STUNNING!

11. Scruge macrumors member

this is absolutely hideous to look at. seriously how can you walk around with something like that.
    no way ill buy anything this huge.
    its like standing in the subway with ur nano and looking over and seeing someone holding this thing: GAMEBOY.jpg

creative fails again:cool:

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

All from a company with the moniker "Creative"...:rolleyes:

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Pug Fugly.

Too thick, too heavy, the interface is a shambles. Buttons everywhere.

What is it with Creative, Sony, iRiver et al? They just keep making these players with a thousand buttons, big clunky things that remind me of how thick the first iPod was. I mean this new Creative is 2cm thick - compared to the 30GB iPod's 1.1 it looks like a brick. Why can Apple cram all the technology into a space half as thick but these guys can't?

Sorry Creative. Must. Try. Harder.

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Too bad the iPod can't play some of those DivX files. Creative has them beat on that in my opinion.

jon

15. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

yes, those are ugly, but that might also mean that more revenue for apple selling video to these players too (well mpeg4 anyways)... just a thought.

16. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

uuuuuummmmmmm greeeeeeennnnnnn

*turns head and vomits*

17. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

This is going to kill the iPod after Kia kills BMW

18. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

IMO the iPod is much better looking... I can't understand why people would want that instead of the iPod video. Is there a significant price difference or what?

19. iHateWindows macrumors 6502

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It happens very often in music, because you can't copyright chord changes. Moanin' (Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers) became So What (Miles Davis), Charlie Parker's KoKo (or was that Scrapple from the Apple?) was based on the chords from another song.

21. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Apple NEEDs a serious competitor imo. I hope it is successful so that it can push apple to add more ****, ie gapless playback, more features, more inovations, more format supports.

22. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I don't think we could call Creative a serious competitor when they rip off the technology and design. Now if they could actually think for themselves over there and come up with something new well maybe then we could discuss the serious competitor idea.

23. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

yeah the iPod is currently $31 cheaper for 30GB. well see what happens when they release in the US, but the exchange rate marks this player at $329.

24. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Ah, but for that $31 you get an AC adapter included, (great for marketing it to those who are less computer literate I find), and you can play back more video types on the machine, (great for those illegally downloading).

Wait a minute, "great for those illegally downloading", until we get an equivalent iTMS for other types of video, there isn't vast amounts you could legally put onto one of these things. Perhaps someone might clampdown and accuse Creative of encouraging illegal downloading. I doubt they include ripping software, (for your DVDs), that adds copy protection into it. They could be shooting themselves in the foot if they aren't careful.