Creative vs. iPod Interface in 2001

Discussion in 'iPod' started by AndrewMT, Dec 9, 2005.

1. AndrewMT macrumors regular

NOVA, or Northern Virginia to the lay person.
    I'm not sure which side to take on the matter of which MP3 creator, Apple or Creative, was the first to the market with the interface we see on the iPod or Creative's newly announced Zen Vision:M and previous players.

I think a lot of people on Macrumors and other sites (like engadget) are simply siding with whatever company they prefer, and not looking at the facts. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone had pictures/movies which show the Creative interface in players from January 2001 to October 2001 (when the first iPod was introduced). We know what the first iPod's interface looked like, but many of us would like to see a 2001 Creative player with hierarchical interface similar to that of the iPod.

I found this flash demonstration of the Nomad Jukebox, which was released in September of 2000:
    http://www.nomadworld.com/flash/Jukebox_Interactive.asp

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Here's link on zen ifo: http://www.creative.com/zenpatent/

it has slides of filing system not movies :rolleyes:

You can decide if 'Creative' has the rights to it but: the following is IMHO -

Apple probably had the filing system down but they're maybe tweaking it before lauching the iPod craze.. I still think that "Apple is the rightful Owner of the filing system that Creative stole"

3. unfaded macrumors 6502

Honestly though, that's pretty lame. OSes have been using a hierarchical system for decades.

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

yeah, and specifically OS X and Next at that (and probably others too)

5. AndrewMT thread starter macrumors regular

What is truly lame is Creative's decision to completely rip off the iPod's refined interface in their newly released Zen Vision:M, down to the color scheme, now that their confidence has been boosted by the newly aquired patent.

However, I do feel that if the US Patent Office was forced to approve an interface patent, Creative was the correct decision simply because they were the first to the market with an MP3 player using a hierarchical interface. In a perfect world, neither company would have received patent approval.

6. AndrewMT thread starter macrumors regular

Is that your quote? Creative has certainly been stealing interface dsign cues from Apple since the release of the iPod, but in no way did they steal the hierarchical interface used in the first Nomad Jukebox.

7. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

the following is Its My Humble Opinion aka IMHO -

Apple probably had the filing system down but they're maybe tweaking it before lauching the iPod craze.. I still think that "Apple is the rightful Owner of the filing system that Creative stole"

8. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Zen is just looking for free advertising. bringing up this issue only brings them into the spotlight for peanuts. In a way they are trying to hitch a ride on the coat tails of the ipod.

9. OCOTILLO macrumors regular

Objective opinion?

A neutral observer undoubtedly would side with Creative on this controversy. However, with all the lawyers in this world, we can expect the lawsuits to go on for years. Who knows what the outcome will be? For most of us it makes no difference who wins. It certainly will not affect my financial situation. iTunes will still be there, there will be some version of the iPod available and Steve will still be making money.

10. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I think that's something that some people are overlooking. Of course they would like to get the rights but not matter what the outcome of it they still get a ton of media attention. Not a bad move for the business side of things for them.

11. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Besides, being a company in a third world SE Asian country what's more likely is they "borrowed" the idea from Apple. Someone may have gotten their hands on the information or plans and taken it across to there. It happens regularly. I go to those parts very often and sometimes I've seen counterfeit products before the originals have hit the streets, and Singapore is one of the SE Asian countries well known for picking up copies of computer/electronic goods.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

So why didn't they sue them three years ago?

Oh that's right, there wasn't any money in it. :rolleyes:

Apple will fight this tooth and nail, all the while making millions and millions and not paying a dime in royalties to "Creative."

Sour grapes.