Creative webcam and OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevep, Dec 13, 2006.

1. stevep macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    Does anyone know how to get a Creative Live! Video IM webcam working in OS X 10.4.8 on an MBP? I've downloaded Macam, 0.9.0 which seems to recognise the cam, but just displays a black window. I've also tried the IOXpert driver, which doesn't seem to work (not surprising as the cam is not on their list of compatibles).
    Why am I not using the iSight? Because I want to point the camera in a different direction to the screen - to be more specific, I want to put it inside the cover of a Roland plotter so I can display the operation of the cutting head via a projector on a large screen - I can't physically get the MBP in there and wouldn't want to anyway as it would get filled with dust and swarf.
    Any help you guys can give would be much appreciated.
  2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Apr 27, 2006
    I don't think this is possible. If no one is able to offer a better solution, I would suggest trying an external iSight. Most firewire DV cams will do the same thing.
  3. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

May 14, 2003
    There is an app called ichatusbcam I believe that might work for you. I had a creative cam from my old pc and am able to use it on yahoo messenger or ichat with video. Now how to record or capture video outside of that I don't know.

I don't know why apple basically locks you into the isight. I'm sorry but I feel the vast majority of people have no need whatsoever for a $150 webcam. I know I don't. I use a cam maybe a few times a year tops.