Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Dec 23, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    what do you do to be more creative? what have you discovered that helps you be more creative?
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Honestly? and i'm probably going to be flamed for this, but drugs. Smoking up helps my mind open up, and my subconsious interact more easily with my consiousness. And my thoughts are not without precident, as many famous artists have attributed their works to the drug in Absynthe. Oscar Wilde, Baudelaire, Manet, Picasso, Hemingway, Degas and many others spoke highly of it. But many of these people also had intense psychological problems that in all reality, absynthe probably contributed to. Nothing is without it's downside.

Also, i find meditation, self-hypnosis, being in nature and scents all influence creativity. Mint and lemon are both said to stimulate the brain, and i think they definitely do. Kind of goes back to drugs in a way, doesn't it? ;)

3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    yeah i hear ya man. ive noticed that a lot of good artitsts had a lot of help from drugs. i mean could have jimi hendrix done what he did if he was clean? i dont know man. its a good question. i wonder if there is any great or good artists out there that are very clean.... and if so i would like to know what they do to be more creative or to help with thier creativity. i myself am an artist... wither im good or not is definitly not great. i am as clean as a whistle but lately i have been in a long deep creative funk. i cant seem to figure out what to do to get out of it. i know some people just say.. create something.. and that will fix it. but i dont know man. i wish there was this key i could use to unlock some serious creativity inside of me... without taking drugs. im contemplating wither being in touch with God (the creator... the ultimate artists) would do the trick... but if so.. where are the examples in our culture? have the greatest artists of all time been in touch with the creator?... but if you are on drugs.. you cant do that. i think maybe drugs... puts you in touch with the dark side and that contributes to ones creativity like that... just my opinion.. but im not sure this is actually correct in my own head. i dont mean to offend anyone... im just going on here.. trying to figure it all out.

i know everyone has different beliefs. i dont want to step on any others or anything.
  4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

I agree with paul. Smoking a little dank.
  5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I go shoot some pictures if I'm feeling kinda....blah...

many Saturdays I've spent roaming cemeteries by myself with my camera...or even searching around the house or backyard...just looking for interesting stuff...

listening to some itunes also helps out...some Pink Floyd, Depeche Mode, Hooverphonic perhaps... :D

I also bought a book...which I do not have with me at present...but it's titled "Thinking Creatively"...great insight! :D ;)
  6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Free association, works sort of like drugs but then you're less likely to forgot what ideas you've come up with :D

Best time is while I'm taking a shower.

7. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Inspiration and creativity...

lay on my back, and stare up at a clear moonlit night sky...
    Travel on the Docklands Light Railway from Towerhill to Greenwich, and chill in Greenwich Park...
    Hang out with my creative buddies and talk design in Frevds.
    Go and film anything and everything on my DV cam.
    Listen to my favourite toons in the middle of a field, on my own, at 3 in the morning whilst enjoying some of Bulmers finest!!
    Driving..... (well when I get my Audi TT next year I will be!!)
    Dining with the rich and aimless in the OXO Tower.
    The work that my friends produce, always inspires me and challenges me, to push further!!
  8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I just can't flame you guys using drugs, because I feel way too bad for you. :(

How's this for creativity?

Get an idea.

That's all anyone really needs to be creative. Go one step at a time, from general to detailed, and you're finished (after working on your lenthy project for a while :)).

If I want an idea, I'll think of something simple (a cube, a desk, maybe a book for example). Then I'll develop a plan for what I want to do with it or a version of it. That's my idea.

Other times, I fool around with numbers so much I create formulas many people will never end up using. :p
  9. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    set deadlines

i noticed that last year, in my portfolio building design class, i got a ton of fairly creative work done.

i had to have 1 portfolio-quality piece done ever other week or so. that was really fast, but i did it.

this year, in a design class my group and i deisgned a promotional campaign for the local cultural district, and we had no deadline but the end of the term. we did relatively nothing, and it was not great quality.

that may or may not have been because of the deadlines...

i do agree- drugs can help you. they change your perspective and allow you to see things that you normally miss. i for one, prefer a couple beers while i am doing my work. loud music and no distractions. i lose myself for hours that way.
  10. Zion Grail macrumors regular

Dec 24, 2002
    I disagree with the drugs comment. I think it does warp your senses (that much is obvious), but I firmly believe that it does not raise your awareness of your surroundings or enhance your creativity. Not by a long shot.

It is my own personal policy that "If you have to use a drug to alter your mind in order to have fun or (supposedly) 'be more creative', you aren't trying hard enough." Also, I firmly believe that "The only way to experience life is with a clean, sharp mind and the initiative to live your life in love and freedom."

Yeah, those are things I said. It's my own personal policy, I don't force others to follow it. That being said, keep the crap away from me. I don't even like being around it.

If I find myself at a creative block (for me, usually writer's block), I stop for a while and do something else. No sense in getting frustrated. I meditate, take a nap, go for a drive, read a book, etc. There are many things I can do that will spur creativity. Trick is just going out and doing them. :)
  11. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city

well said... i agree with you.
  12. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    A little creativity, safety!

Attached Files:

13. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    At the beach!

Attached Files: