Creator of instant ramen noodles dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by w00tmaster, Jan 6, 2007.

1. w00tmaster macrumors regular

2. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I've gotta call in sick to work, this should be a national day of mourning for any college student.

3. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Wow - Momofuku Ando got me through life as a latchkey kid, high school lunch periods, college and grad school. :(

4. Quboid macrumors 6502

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

With the high sodium content in instant noodles I'm surprised that he died at 96. Maybe he didn't eat his own creation and just ate fruits and veggies :p

He was Taiwanese too! Word!

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm sure he ate better than his company's wet cardboard-tasting noodles. I would imagine he had someone at home preparing fresh ramen when he wanted it, no waiting involved.

I still can't believe that the company is still in business. I still remember stopping at a rest area during a 3 hour drive back to the metro Tokyo area and getting Cup Noodles out of the vending machine because there wasn't anything else. I haven't had any Nissin products since then. :D

I missed that he was Taiwanese, though I saw that he was born in Taiwan.

7. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

:(

He's certainly one of the reasons I was able to stay at university as long as I did.

I used to use half a packet of spice to cut down on the sodium, and then drop frozen veggies and whateva in to boost the nutritional value. One of my fondest memories of ramen included adding a can of sardines (in mustard sauce) and a can of vienna 'sausages', which may have quadrupled the sodium content, but helped my co-workers and I avoid the hand-made ham and butter sandwiches that were being provided for us (fighting forest fires).

*Raises a pint glass to the east*

8. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

uh...I had the glass in my hand just after the post?...I spun in the chair I was sitting in to make it a multi-directional Prost! West would actually be closer I suppose.

9. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

I was expecting more of an *urp* sound, if anything! ;) Though it really did taste great at the time.

10. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

may he rest in peace. being on a YMCA owned boat in off islands off of Michigan's upper peninsula can be tough. unless you have lots of oriental and beef ramen (and water sterilization tablets and a camp stove).:cool:
    FWIW, I never liked the chicken flavor all that much, but shrimp, oh I quiver at the mention of shrimp ramen...

11. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

What a bummer, at least the company lives on. Ramen is a staple food in my apartment. I always have 20+ packets at any given time and I'm not even a college student, I just love the stuff.

12. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

If you were aware of what real ramen tastes like you would be celebrating the fact that he is now in hell having his instant crap rammed up his backside with a fiery poker for all eternity.

Regarding college days, I started smoking in college but I'm not going to start commemorating Philip Morris Day.

:)

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've seen the term on a few websites, but what is "ramen"? How does it differ from "normal" noodles?

14. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Lamenting the loss

While lamenting the loss of the founder, as mentioned the company will live on, but I really feel for poor scemO, who's affinity for the ramen is legendary.
    KGB

15. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I thought this was the stuff they were talking about...

[​IMG]

16. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

Indeed, he shall be awarded the University Student's highest award - Honourary Legend.

Other Honourary Legends include Chuck Norris, BA Barracus, Ray Mears and Richard Whitely, who all made a profound contribution to University life.

You will be missed.

17. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    yeah, so did I....

I thought the other thing was called "cup of noodles"

maybe they are both the same things, idk :D

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

men is equivalent to noodle. As with Italian-style pasta (which was derived from Chinese pasta), there are several kinds.

Typically, in Japan, you'll find:

ramen
    somen
    soba
    udon

Now, if you could tell me what normal noodles are, maybe we could find an answer as to the differences. ;)

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In Dictionary:

20. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Tonkotsu ramen. Pork, with thick meat gravy and some bamboo and other bits and pieces. Sesame seed to taste, if that's your thing. Now there's some fast food worth eating. :)

[​IMG]

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

So the stuff they sell as "2-minute noodles" etc is probably ramen?

That was a bit of a silly thing for me to say, wasn't it? :)

22. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Should I be worried that he'll be cremated and put into those little flavor packs? :eek:

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Thanks for the laugh! :D :D

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, 2 minute noodles would likely be ramen because it's tough to find instant somen or soba, though you can find packaged udon that u can cook quickly but it's not dry. I've also seen packaged noodles from Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, The Philippines, Taiwan, and South Korea.

I suppose non-Asians consider Italian-style pasta to be normal, even though Marco Polo took some home from China. Of course, there are many types of Italian-style pasta. If there is a real difference, it's that the Italian-style pasta always sticks together naturally, though rice noodles can make quite a mess, too.

It's too bad there aren't more shops that serve freshly made noodles because there really is a huge difference. Still, what most people find in their local grocery store is not what Asians would eat, so they might find the other instant ramen an eye opener.