Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
With the high sodium content in instant noodles I'm surprised that he died at 96. Maybe he didn't eat his own creation and just ate fruits and veggies :p

He was Taiwanese too! Word!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
With the high sodium content in instant noodles I'm surprised that he died at 96. Maybe he didn't eat his own creation and just ate fruits and veggies :p

He was Taiwanese too! Word!

I'm sure he ate better than his company's wet cardboard-tasting noodles. I would imagine he had someone at home preparing fresh ramen when he wanted it, no waiting involved.

I still can't believe that the company is still in business. I still remember stopping at a rest area during a 3 hour drive back to the metro Tokyo area and getting Cup Noodles out of the vending machine because there wasn't anything else. I haven't had any Nissin products since then. :D

I missed that he was Taiwanese, though I saw that he was born in Taiwan.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
:(

He's certainly one of the reasons I was able to stay at university as long as I did.

I used to use half a packet of spice to cut down on the sodium, and then drop frozen veggies and whateva in to boost the nutritional value. One of my fondest memories of ramen included adding a can of sardines (in mustard sauce) and a can of vienna 'sausages', which may have quadrupled the sodium content, but helped my co-workers and I avoid the hand-made ham and butter sandwiches that were being provided for us (fighting forest fires).

*Raises a pint glass to the east*

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
uh...I had the glass in my hand just after the post?...I spun in the chair I was sitting in to make it a multi-directional Prost! West would actually be closer I suppose.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
may he rest in peace. being on a YMCA owned boat in off islands off of Michigan's upper peninsula can be tough. unless you have lots of oriental and beef ramen (and water sterilization tablets and a camp stove).:cool:
FWIW, I never liked the chicken flavor all that much, but shrimp, oh I quiver at the mention of shrimp ramen...

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
What a bummer, at least the company lives on. Ramen is a staple food in my apartment. I always have 20+ packets at any given time and I'm not even a college student, I just love the stuff.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
If you were aware of what real ramen tastes like you would be celebrating the fact that he is now in hell having his instant crap rammed up his backside with a fiery poker for all eternity.

Regarding college days, I started smoking in college but I'm not going to start commemorating Philip Morris Day.

:)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've seen the term on a few websites, but what is "ramen"? How does it differ from "normal" noodles?

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
Lamenting the loss

While lamenting the loss of the founder, as mentioned the company will live on, but I really feel for poor scemO, who's affinity for the ramen is legendary.
KGB

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I thought this was the stuff they were talking about...

B0005YN32S.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._SCMZZZZZZZ_V1128052370_.jpg

Lunja

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2005
Lincoln UK
Indeed, he shall be awarded the University Student's highest award - Honourary Legend.

Other Honourary Legends include Chuck Norris, BA Barracus, Ray Mears and Richard Whitely, who all made a profound contribution to University life.

You will be missed.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've seen the term on a few websites, but what is "ramen"? How does it differ from "normal" noodles?

men is equivalent to noodle. As with Italian-style pasta (which was derived from Chinese pasta), there are several kinds.

Typically, in Japan, you'll find:

ramen
somen
soba
udon

Now, if you could tell me what normal noodles are, maybe we could find an answer as to the differences. ;)

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Tonkotsu ramen. Pork, with thick meat gravy and some bamboo and other bits and pieces. Sesame seed to taste, if that's your thing. Now there's some fast food worth eating. :)

menu-tonkotsu.jpg

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
So the stuff they sell as "2-minute noodles" etc is probably ramen?

Now, if you could tell me what normal noodles are, maybe we could find an answer as to the differences. ;)

That was a bit of a silly thing for me to say, wasn't it? :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
So the stuff they sell as "2-minute noodles" etc is probably ramen?

That was a bit of a silly thing for me to say, wasn't it? :)

Yes, 2 minute noodles would likely be ramen because it's tough to find instant somen or soba, though you can find packaged udon that u can cook quickly but it's not dry. I've also seen packaged noodles from Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, The Philippines, Taiwan, and South Korea.

I suppose non-Asians consider Italian-style pasta to be normal, even though Marco Polo took some home from China. Of course, there are many types of Italian-style pasta. If there is a real difference, it's that the Italian-style pasta always sticks together naturally, though rice noodles can make quite a mess, too.

It's too bad there aren't more shops that serve freshly made noodles because there really is a huge difference. Still, what most people find in their local grocery store is not what Asians would eat, so they might find the other instant ramen an eye opener.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.