Credit Card Cancelled - Effect on Order?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rjs2, Jan 9, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Dec 18, 2012
    I placed an order for a 27" imac on the 13th Dec using a credit card

Last week there was a dodgy 0.00 value transaction on the card and the card issuer cancelled the card and issued a new one.

Apple are claiming that this doesn't matter "as the card is only a means to the account" and everything will be ok.

This sounds strange to me, do they do odd things with their settlement process?

Surely if the card is cancelled they can't collect a payment from it?

2. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    If Apple has trouble collecting, they'll let you know. I wouldn't worry about it unless Apple notifies you that the charge wasn't processed.
  3. macrumors 68000

Jan 21, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    Does sound odd--if it were me, I would log on to my account and update the credit card information for my account to reflect the new card.
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Dec 18, 2012
    Turns out the apple finance team were talking crap and as I suspected, you can't process a payment for 1000s when the card has been cancelled!

I didn't get an email (?) but logged on to check my status and there was a payment error message.

I input the new card details and am now finally preparing! :)
  5. macrumors 603

Nov 25, 2012
    United States
    Hold your flames for a second, they weren't just talking "crap", once Apple gets the pre-authorization for the purchase then your card number is no longer part of the equation. If they didn't get a pre-authorization before the card was cancelled then that's different. The only thing that can stop them from charging you is if your account number to the card (not the card number) is changed then that would block them.

Why is it that people here seem to be just waiting to post something against Apple when it wasn't their fault from the start?
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Dec 18, 2012
    I'm not flaming, just stating fact.

I rang Apple, they contacted their finance team and mailed me back to say that everything would be fine and the order would process normally.

It didn't - so whilst I've no animosity toward Apple, I can't exactly post to say that they were correct :)
  7. macrumors 603

The OP is right here, if you order something on one CC number but don't get charged yet and later when they charge your card while the CC number has changed they can not charge it.

The first Card is closed and not valid anymore.
  8. macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2012
    To the OP

its your responsibility to ensure your payment details are correct , If you knew that the card number/details had changed you should have taken responsibility for the change and updated your payment details

no need for a thread on this subject
  9. thread starter macrumors member

Dec 18, 2012
    I did, I updated my details on the apple site but there's no option to update the details for a pending order. I rang Apple who told me that it was Apple Policy not to allow you to change payment details once an order is placed.

Fortunately, that policy only seems to apply until payment is declined, then the option to use a different card suddenly presents itself.