Credit Card Companies Good/Bad

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by XNine, Feb 16, 2006.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Alright, well, Capital One sucks balls. But I was wondering if any of you know a "good" Credit Card company to go with. One who has a low APR rate and one that will help rebuild my credit.

Any info appreciate!

2. iGary Guest

iGary

MBNA sucks ass. Get this - I had a card with them for 12 years - always paid on time - ALWAYS.

In 2000, I had to charge a boatload of medical expenses on credit cards because I didn't have insurance. So, all of my creidt cards (3 at the time) were maxed, and MBNA perceives me as a credit risk (because I'm like all maxed out) and jacks my 9.9% rate to 26%. I have never missed a payment on one accoutn in my life. I've been maxed a couple of time because of business/health issues, but I have always paid.

So I called them to ask about it, you know, because I had 12 years of on-time payments and they said my best bet was Credit Counseling. Heh.

So when I got another job, I paid off the card and cancelled it. The lady said "I'd like to transfer you to our retention department to see if there is anything we can do to keep you as a cutomer." I said: "You guys ****ed that chance up last year when I needed you."

Citibank now has all of my business - they increased my rate to 19% when I was out of work and near my limit, but they didn't hijack me like MB effing NA did. Funny thing is I was doing a story for a magazine last week and had to go to a boat factory, and the president of MBNA's boat was just being finished.

The name?

"Charge It"

Asshat™

3. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Well, I'm not sure about good credit cards, but I can tell you not to go with Discover. They call you incessently trying to get you sign up for things after you've got their card. The Chase Manhatten bank cards may also be a pain if you ever have to deal with their customer service.

I like American Express, but the APR isn't low and the card I have has a yearly fee. Perhaps some of their other cards would be more fitting for you, though?

Other than that I've used USAA, which I liked, but you, your spouse or one of your parents has had to have been in the military.

4. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Yeah, well I have an experience with Capital One. I've had that card since I was 18. When I was 20, I sent in a payment, and they said that it was late. They charged me 25 bucks on top of that. Then it happened about 12 more times from then til now (4 years) and I'm just about to pay this off. Needless to Say I send my payment 3 1/2 weeks before it's due.

It's not nearly as bad as your story, it still sucks. I just need a Credit Card that's fair and will help me build my credit back up.

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    MBNA sucks?

I figured as much when I used to see them trying to pawn their cards at my University to anyone that would listen..

glad I never stopped to chat and receive my free keychain, or whatever they were handing out that day

I only have a $500 limit visa card from my bank and that's all I want.

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Advanta has been good to me so far. 5% cash back on purchases. I get something like an $80 check every few months. No annual fees, etc. As with all CC, just pay off your bill in full each month.

I would not recommend MBNA or CapitalOne. I hate American Express with a passion (long story).

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

american express is pretty decent i think. i've heard good things about citi as well.

8. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I have had really good luck with Discover and CitiCards. I always pay off the whole ballance every month. One time I wrote a payment check for one cent less then I owed. It cost me $1.58 in interest and service charges for a one cent error.
    My mom is a loan officer for a small bank. I have heard her say time and time again that a credit card is not a cheap or fast way to build credit. A good car loan will do just as much good. Talk to a financial expert about other options on building your credit.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I also recommend Advanta. Also had an MBNA and Citi card, but prefer to limit my deficit-spending temptations. So I kept my favorite and cancelled the other two...

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I have had no problems with:

Citi.
    AMEX.
    Master Card issues via bank.
    Visa Card issues via bank.

I have never had any issues with any of the above, not a single one. They keep telling me if I want a limit increase when I call for some issue that I might have in regards to that might have been another companies fault. :)

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

If you want to hold an AMEX you have to make a certain amount each year. I know they denied me when I was 18 since I didn't make enough per annum.

Citi is alright. I basically use what I can get back from certain credit cards. Cash Back, points, club points, etc.... ;) :)

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I think they do that at every university/college that will let them. There's [good] money to be made in preying on often credit-ignorant college students.

Funny story: they were at my school in my undergraduate days, and when walking past one of their tables, the guy behind the counter asked me if I would like a free gift. I said yes, picked up a one pound bag of peanut M&Ms, and continued walking.

13. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Do you know what the salary requirements are? I got an AmEx card that I like (gets me double miles lots o' places), but I also pay a yearly fee to have it. Maybe that makes a difference? I pay off the amount each month so I'm not even sure what the APR is....

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

But what if you don't need/want a car...?

I have a Visa, MC, and Amex Blue. I haven't and problems w/any of them. The Amex is only a couple old, the MC is about 6 and the Visa is 8 or 10.

Lethal

15. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I have an Amazon.com card I use strictly for business. As I recall, the APR is reasonable. I charge about $20K per month and the balance is paid in full each month. I get a $25 Amazon.com gift certificate for every $2500 charged. I have a ton of these sitting around and I need nothing.

16. maya macrumors 68040

maya

To even be considered for an AMEX card basic you have to have an annual income of 24k per annum. I was slightly under that when I was 18. This is in Canada by the way and its a no fee card.

I know you can call AMEX and ask them for the base requirements as the US might differ to some extent compared to Canada. I personally do not believe in paying a fee for a card other than a late charge.

No Fee is the way to go. Call AMEX and ask for the base requirements. :)

17. maya macrumors 68040

maya

You can sell off those gift certificates. ;) :D

18. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Nah, people would only want them at a discount. The earliest ones don't expire until November 2006 (then you get a 6 moNth grace period) So I'm sure I'll spend them. Also good for gifts.

19. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Amex's blue is a credit card not a charge card and I've been using it. I don't carry a balance so APR isn't too much of a concern but it was decent for the intro period. Get a credit card not a charge card with AMEX so you can build some credit.

20. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Wow, thanks for all of the information friends! I unfortunately am about to pay off my first car ever (a 97 civic, not all suped up). So, I was going to take the payments I was making on that sucker and put it toward a big screen TV and Lasik (both go hand-in-hand)

Thank you much for the advice! Now I have MUCH to look over and think about! :)

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I had a similar issue with American Express last year at the time of the split-up with my ex. Was trying to fix up my TH for sale, and get new stuff for my new apartment.

They cut my limit to what I owed, and raised the interest rate. This was based on my "maxxing out" my credit lines, and GMAC reporting that my ex's credit card - which I found out I was an "authorized user", with out my knowledge or permission!

To Amex's credit, they did lower my rate when I got GMAC to fax them the error. To Suntrust's credit (I think that it is through MBNA) they came to my rescue by increasing my limit after contacting my realtor to confirm that my house was going on the market.

Sad state that for those of us that viewed credit cards as a lifeline during hard times, can't rely on them like that any more.

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Better IMO to try to stay debt free. Put that extra money aside till you can pay for both in cash.

23. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I second the Amex Blue. It's a very low APR (for me it's 8%), and they give really good credit limits (high), plus you can enroll in rewards etc. I've had it for 3 years now and I like it... I've had my regular Amex Gold for 11 years, and it's fine, but the APR is high (14.9%)... the Amex Gold you usually have to pay off (charge card), but it can also work like a cc.

However, AmEx cards are not accepted everywhere. For Visa, I've had good luck with Citi.

Stay away from anything to do with Providian though.

24. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Amen, my brotha.

Amen.

25. bemylover macrumors regular

citi did not give a credit card to me :)

I have amex gold with great credit history, and I recieve several mails every day offering pre-approved credit cards. And I just wanted to have one from citi, as I have my bank account there and they said no :) weird people.