Credit Card Fraud & Frustration

Discussion in 'Community' started by e²Studios, Jun 7, 2005.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

So i get to work today and since i cant check email or anything from home becuase for some odd reason my comcast internet connection killed itself after exactly to the minute 24 hours after it was installed.

I login to my bank account...

I scan my charges like i usually do and i see this...

06/03 SHOP CENTRAL 208-5450200 NY

ive never purchased anything from a "Shop Central" .. i called the numebr and there is a pre recorded voice saying only to press 1 to leave a voice message and press 2 to send a fax, no company name..

I go online and do a search, thinking maybe i made a mistake, ive been moving all weekend and it could have slipped my mind. i end up at this site http://www.spslink.com/ that matches the numebr and all. the english is poor, and there is even a really odd thing at the bottom saying to fill out something if you notice a charge from them so they can "inquire" about your transaction.

I went one step further and looked up that they used http://www.enom.com/domains/whois.asp to register their domain, i ran a whois on their domain and got what looked to be fake information, it just didnt feel right... so i scroll down further and get to the nameservers... nameserver: NS2.NSKNET.RU NS3.NSKNET.RU

At this point i called my bank and they immediatly cancelled my card and are now sending me the paperwork so i can get my money back. It was 35.95 not a whole lot of cash, but its odd to me how they got my information. I only use the Apple Store, itunes and Amazon to buy things online. If i buy from ebay i will only use paypal, ive never used any odd sites or unkown companies.. i use OS X 10.4.1 so i know its not a trojan or a virus of somekind.. im really perplexed how they got my information.

Overall this just adds to my frustration levels, we moved in to our new house the fridge got damaged on the way from the werehouse to the deleivery point so Sears wont deliever a new one until June 15th.. internet went out for no reason, i have a class that is online that im falling behind in, had issues with a younger neighbor that thinks the world owes her or something... gotta love life's speed bumps....

2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I know this probably doesn't help you or make you any more comfortable BUT there are some possibilities for how this happened:

- I know that sometimes card number theft occurs at restaurants: when you give the waiter or waitress your card

But MORE LIKELY

- If you leave your restaurant receipt SOMETIMES it will have your FULL card number on it as opposed to XXXX XXXX XXXX 1234 or whatever that the newer registers usually do - when you get your receipts make sure you cross out that number on BOTH your copy and the restaurant's copy... once the restaurant has scanned it and it has printed it's ALREADY in the compuer - so there is no reason to have it on a piece of paper.

- Is it possible that you entered your card number to... shall we say... verify your age online for any reason (won't go there) at any time? Some places where you might have to do that are kind of sketchy. I am not trying to say anything about you ... just that that is how people can get their numbers stolen sometimes.

Hope that helps and you get your money back, despite the small amount it's still a scare and an inconvenience. While you're at it, look into more than just your card - you should get a full credit report and look into things going on under your name - hopefull you're not in for any nasty surprises.

Best wishes.

3. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Might want to call one of the credit bureaus and put yourself on fraud alert if you've got plastic. I mean, who knows what other info of yours may be floating.

Had to do that for my fraulein because people were calling up her credit companies and posing as her and trying to get info. Pretty scary.

When it first happened, I was convinced it occurred at a pub down the street because she had just recently used the card there. However, we've now traced it back to an old out of town address (why information was being sent there I have no idea).

Nonetheless, the fraud alert will put a 90 day freeze on opening any lines of credit and will alert all bureaus and entities of your situation. As a side perk, you will get no pre-approved credit card forms in the mail for 2 years.

Bottom line is you should go over any and all statements with a fine-toothed comb and run a credit check on yourself (it won't damage your score). What you have to be leery of is an account that has been opened that you are not even aware of.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Unfortunately, things like this don't help:

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

One of the big myths about identity theft is that it usually occurs fromt he internet. The internet is, in general, a much safer way to buy. No person ever handles your card, the transaction in encrypted in most cases. Buying from rpeutable websites, you should never have a problem.

The vast majority of fraud and identity theft comes from people, either at stores you buy from (some plant scanners on or around their check stand so they can scan your card and steal info), or going through your trash. I read a great article on a guy who made a lot of money dumpster diving, piecing together people's info and then selling them to people. I shred everything that has to do with financials nowadays, credit card applications, bank statements, I do all my billing online. Its not even a hassle, its actually easier to deal with things online like this, and shredding only takes a moment.