Cringely muses on Apple's Sept. 7th Announcement

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by treblah, Sep 1, 2005.

1. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Link.

I know Cringely has some crazy thoughts but he has been harping about a Movie Store for some time and I doubt he would just make this up without some sources. This could also explain someone at Apple jumping the gun on the test drive.

One can only hope.

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well if they are saying they are making the same impact that they first made with the iPod 4 years ago, then video is a good bet - coupled with phone (with downloads over the carriers). They kept crapping on about H264 and how it was scalable from 1080p down to cell phone size. Steve likes to drop hints, so I wouldn't be too surprised if this is what they are going to do.

3. treblah thread starter macrumors 65816

treblah

I think it also makes sense that Motorola is having their own event. Maybe they figure that while Steve introducing the phone would have a bigger impact than any Motorola person, all the other Apple stuff will have much greater press worthiness. Especially if its just an iTunes app with Motos UI.

Also, if they do release iPods capable of smooth H.264 streams, my 2002 iBook G3 is going to cry. :(

4. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Your iBook g3 is capable of viewing DVD quality h264 streams, just not HD quality.

5. treblah thread starter macrumors 65816

treblah

You should tell it that. It gets choppy/unwatchable just trying to watch the G5 ad from macTV.

Could you point me to a DVD quality stream?