Cringeworthy Teambulding exercises

Discussion in 'Community' started by Applespider, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Just home from an office 'away day' where we set out our objectives for 2005. As usual, early speakers overran and we ended up missing out some slides since there was 'something' happening at 4.30.

Cue 4.30 and three people running in, hitting drums and blowing whistles. For the next hour, rather than listening to some fairly important plans, we ended up hitting drums and being told to shout in unison.

While hitting a large bongo drum was fun (or would have been if we were allowed to do what we wanted), it was an utter waste of time. We're one of the least conventional departments in the business - so having to conform to hitting things in rhythm seemed a little bizarre. And being asked to 'whoop' along with it.... argh!

I'm fairly sure that the most bonding was done in the pub an hour later where the most positive thing we could say about the drums was that it was better than the juggling we'd been told to do a few meetings ago.

Anyone else had any really cringeworthy teambuilding exercises?
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Our away-days are usually a complete waste of time... last year involved the use of Beanie Babies to describe our roles, functions and outlooks...

Needless to say, we were not allowed to take the Beanie Babies home afterwards. :(
  3. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    I hate these kinds of teaming activities. Basically, the company is expecting everyone to conform. I resent it. There's no appreciation for the fact that people are individuals. They make the shy or insecure folks feel like crap, regardless of the fact that they come to work each day, do their job and probably *don't* spend half their time shooting the bull in the break room. Not everyone enjoys being forced to make an ass of themselves or otherwise behave in ways that make them feel uncomfortable.
  4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    Could be worse, could make you go to a cheerleading camp, or have George I shout cheers, or fat camp cheerleading, but best would be the Dallas ladies!

Attached Files: