Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyethyleneguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
Florida
I just got my iPod shuffle and after plugging it in to my new Powerbook with USB 2.0, and selected autofill, it proceeded to download the music...but at a very slow speed. I have had a regular HD based iPod before and remember it transfering songs very quickly. So my question is to those out there with 1GB iPod shuffles...how long does it usually take it to fill up the entire 1GB. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Thanks for any help!

polyethyleneguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
Florida
Firewire = 400Mbps
USB 2.0 = 480Mbps

If anything, the shuffle should be even faster...also, there are no moving parts as with a hard drive based player.
How long (1 minute, 2, 3..) does it take you guys to fill up a 1GB shuffle with nothing on it?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
polyethyleneguy said:
Firewire = 400Mbps
USB 2.0 = 480Mbps

If anything, the shuffle should be even faster...also, there are no moving parts as with a hard drive based player.
How long (1 minute, 2, 3..) does it take you guys to fill up a 1GB shuffle with nothing on it?

your numbers are right, but misleading

with Firewire the 400Mbps is a sustained rate, meaning it constantly transfers at the speed, the USB rate however is only theoretical and only reaches that speed in bursts, meaning small transfers are all that it is good for

polyethyleneguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
Florida
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I'm still looking for someone's estimate on how long it takes to fill a 1GB shuffle with 1GB of music...

jruc4871

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Washington, DC
polyethyleneguy said:
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I'm still looking for someone's estimate on how long it takes to fill a 1GB shuffle with 1GB of music...

Nothing to worry about. I've been spoiled with Firewire for my 40GB G4. I was surprised at how long it took to transfer to my new Shuffle.

Just imagine (non-FW) windows users filling up a hard disc iPod! :eek:

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
How slow is very slow? It will seem slow compared to any real hard drive. All solid-state memory is very slow compared to hard drives. Just think of the flash cards you use for your digital camera.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
polyethyleneguy said:
My girlfriends Shuffle takes about 6-7 minutes to fill 512MB over USB2.0 from my PowerMac. My 40GB photo took about 40 mins to transfer 22GB of music and photos.
It's fine - don't worry about it.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
It's Like Watching a Pot Boil

If you sit there waiting on it, it seems like forever.

I was trying to load 6 or 7 songs to my son's 512MB Shuffle when everyone was walking out the door Saturday. Of course it had to erase all of his stuff and load mine so it took FOREVER.

Next time find something to do.

(This was on an old USB1, too.)

doctor pangloss

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2004
Thailand
I haven't used the auto fill feature on my shuffle yet. But when I transfered a 958 mb playlist it went fast(as fast as an ipod update through the firewire 400). The apple tech guy I talked to said the usb port is slightly faster than the firewire 400 port. But only very slightly.

I suspect the time consumed with the autofill is the random song selection process from your library.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the limiting factor here is not the USB, but instead the slow read/write speed of flash memory compared to a HDD (if you only have USB 1.1, then it may be a different story).

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Firewire was invented by Apple in the mid-80s, believe it or not. USB 2.0 came along much later but is still inferior to FW400 (and toasted by FW800). Go figure.

I wonder, does Apple get a small cut every time another company uses firewire, like in a camera?

swy32x

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2005
Check that in the shuffle options you're not selecting "convert to 128kbs for transfer to your shuffle" as that takes foreeeever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.