Critically Acclaimed Strategy Game 'XCOM: Enemy Unknown' Coming to iOS

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 25, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

This weekend at a PAX East panel, Firaxis announced that it is in the process of porting its critically acclaimed strategy game XCOM: Enemy Unknown to iOS and that it will be available sometime this summer.

[​IMG]
    While speaking with Joystiq, XCOM: Enemy Unknown Lead Designer Jake Solomon said that gamers can expect a similar experience to the console and PC versions of the game.
    Solomon also said that the game would include the Elite Soldier DLC and that the "full game" is being ported over to iOS devices. This would be a relatively major milestone for iOS gaming, as it represent a full port of a high-profile console and PC game that was released just six months ago.

The move comes a month after the game was announced for Mac with a launch date of April 25. XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a re-imagining of the classic 1994 strategy game "X-COM: Enemy Defense" and was developed by Firaxis and published by 2K Games for consoles and PC.

In the game, players are tasked with leading secret government organization XCOM to defend the world against aliens. They oversee base management in addition to combat strategies while maintaining relationships with countries to fund their organization and save the world.

Although no price has been announced, Soloman said that it will be at a "premium price point," which would likely put it in the $15 range.

Article Link: Critically Acclaimed Strategy Game 'XCOM: Enemy Unknown' Coming to iOS

2. macrumors 603

blueroom

3. macrumors 68040

No doubt. And here I was all excited to get it on Mac. Now I'm not sure which way I would go....

4. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

5. macrumors 68040

Quote from the article:

"It is a straight port. We have not made any gameplay exceptions,"*XCOM: Enemy UnknownLead Designer Jake Solomon told us. "You play the exact same game [as on PC or consoles], it's just now fully playable on an iPhone or an iPad."

6. macrumors 6502

OtherJesus

Great news! This game was made to be played on an iPad. Controls are perfect for it.
    Love, love, love this game on my Xbox and looking forward to having it with me on iOS.

7. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Thanks, I missed that. They mostly just said "iOS" in the article and the pictures were all of the iPad

8. macrumors 6502

Its a great game on PC.. cant wait to grab it on iOS too.

9. macrumors 6502

illitrate23

$15 is a bit much though, for a game that's just a straight port of something that's already a year old isn't it?
    if they'd brought it out on iOS alongside the PC and console versions, then sure, $15 would be reasonable.
    But i think i shall wait for another month or two for the price to inevitably fall to $5. i've waited this long, i can wait a little longer.

10. macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Definitely one of the few games that is suited for touch input.

11. macrumors 6502a

Baklava

Mission Control... I hate that word combination. :p

12. macrumors member

A release by a company not owed by one of the big gaming players who ruin everything they touch? :eek:

BUY BUY BUY!

13. macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Phaselocking Psychos somewhere on Pandora
    The game still sells for $30-40 on PC/Consoles. Why would you think half the cost on a platform more suited to the playstyle of the game is overpriced? It's the same game, with a better interface. I'd buy it if it was $40, cause I haven't picked it up anywhere else yet.

14. macrumors 68000

Earendil

How look how far we've come, that this can even be an expectations. Why, when I was a kid playing games on my Mac, the "port" came out 3 years later, buggy, and still cost full price and your first born. AND in order to even acquire the game one had to walk to a physical store, uphill both ways. Sometimes it snowed.

$15 is more than fair.

15. canman4PM, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

macrumors 6502

canman4PM

And games over 1 year old are typically $20+ for the PS3, so...

16. macrumors regular

This game has such a potential! And still they manage to scr%w it up! It is great that it comes for an ipad! Game is week on content! It needs improvement without it! Price should be 0.89cents

17. macrumors 6502

xSinghx

18. macrumors regular

Mac version is out in about 4 weeks as it says under the video.....

19. macrumors member

rodriguise

Feature request

The only feature I would ask for would be cross platform save games. That would be amazing.

20. macrumors G3

Renzatic

My suggestion? The iPad. I already own the game, played through a good chunk of it, and I'm getting it again just because...

A. PORTABLE XCOM! YEEAAAAHHH!

B. The gameplay style is practically made for touchscreen controls.

C. I want to support developers who release full on proper games for the iPad, so we'll get more of them in the future.

D. PORTABLE XCOM! YEEAAAAHHH!

The downside is you'll have to wait another couple of months for the game, and the graphics probably won't be quite as good on the iPad as they are on the PC and Mac, but...hell...

PORTABLE XCOM! YEEAAAAHHHH!

----------

Sometimes it snowed? What are you? Some kinda wuss who grew up in wussyland? We had to fight polar bears every time we stepped outdoors in my neck of the woods. I lost both my brothers and my sister walking to the video store to rent Mario 3 back in the Blizzard of '89. 'Ole Leroy ate well that night, let me tell you...

21. macrumors 68030

MattInOz

That could well be current day if Simcity doesn't get it's act together*.

*Knowing my luck Simcity's parallel release was a surprise release this morning.

XCOM was one of the few games that made me consider buying a PC.
    $15 is great value in comparison.

22. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

[​IMG]

Have at you!

23. macrumors 65816

24. macrumors G3

Renzatic

There are few things in life that can't be resolved by a few rounds of hearty fisticuffs. [​IMG]

25. macrumors newbie

Raspberry Pie

So... will there be compatibility with Mac OS Lion? Say I wanted to play it on my macbook pro :apple: ...