Critics of the Iraq War Put Rumsfeld on the Defensive

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, May 5, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-rumsfeld5may05,1,6829919.story

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thinkprogress has the video available from this page.

what i found most interesting -- and disingenuous -- was how rumsfeld used the example of troops donning chemical suits out of fear or being attacked as "proof" that... well, i'm not certain what point he was trying to make. but it wasn't one of those "support the troops" moments.

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

"Well, first of all, I haven't lied. I did not lie then..."

*audience claps*

Why is the audience clapping? Because Rumsfeld is such a great stage performer? I don't get it. :confused:

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Yeah, considering the toxic gases that were spewed by Hussein for many years, including the first Gulf War, I'd be waring a Hazmat outfit as well, wouldn't you?! Rumsfeld's excuses are getting old...

I saw part of the interview this morning before coming to work. Rumsfeld was looking for defensive reactions to this guy's questions. At one point, the guy said "These people aren't idiots..." and Rumsfeld jsut look down at the podium. I bet he was trying to hear what his writers were saying over his earpiece.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And who ordered the troops to don their Chem/Bio suits Mr. Secretary? Did they make that decision on their own?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They probably did it to protect themselves from all the crap they used in GW1.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

"That charge is frequently leveled against the president for one reason or another, and it is so wrong, so unfair and so destructive of a free system where people need to trust each other and government," Rumsfeld said after the protester had been whisked out of the room.

I'll never trust the government after this administration, I'm afraid.

e

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Republican goosesteppers. We have People in this country who are Republican first , then Americans.

10. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In rebuttal:

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It amazes me that it was very clear we were lied to yet the blind republicans in the crowd were booing the ones telling the truth and applausing the liar Rumsfeld. Sick republicans who wont even acknowledge truth.

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

Cool stuff. :)

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Worse, these same Republicans were pontificating not long ago how badly lies destroyed Our Great Democracy. They argued that a president could -- nay must -- be impeached for such behavior.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'd say that's more profound than the Twain quote.

15. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hey, give Sam Clemens a break -- it was over 100 years ago!

(The quote was from "Connecticut Yankee" if anyone is interested.)

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Oh, East is East and South is South, and never the twain shall meet.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i shall mark your words.

18. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I shall plead clemency.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Let the swiftboating of McGovern begin!

Of COURSE he's a nutjob and a moonbat. Anyone who dares to question or criticize this administration is by default.

But what does that make people who criticized Clinton while he was in office? Patriots of course! The logic is inscrutable.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hey: lies are what made this country what it is today! ;)

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm glad someone else pointed this quote out. Doesn't it seem kinda odd to anyone else? Destructive of a free society to question the government? Trust? And the best part, after the protester had been whisked out of the room. Yeah, something about this seems wrong to me.

Luckily that percentage that's Republican first (good quote BTW DHM, I often disagree with you, but that was a good one) is shrinking fast according to recent polls. Most of them have turned against their party (and as we see by people like DHM, who used to be one, it's probably because their party has turned on them) or are just planning on staying home on election day. Swing voters are swinging the other way. I have no doubt that it's because Bush insists on keeping people like Rummie (or Cheney, or Condie, or even Rove) by his side, while the rest of his staff sees where things are going and are quickly jumping ship. So now the Dems can get their chance to screw things up and we'll start all over again.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Rummy is on TV trying to push up Bushs #s, why have you not caught Bin Laden Mr Rumsfeld? Bin Laden attacked the U.S. Saddam didnt. Now he's changing his tune about our lack of intelligence agency and how they got Iraq wrong after years of saying the opposite. These guys suck.