"cropping" audio?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scan, Jan 14, 2007.

1. scan macrumors 6502

Is there a software that comes with my mac that I could crop some audio files?

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

GarageBand can crop audio. I tried it, but switched to Sound Studio, which is better suited to the job I was doing, since it involved some audio cleanup as well.

3. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

4. scan thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not doing anything extreme with audio files. I would just like to cut like 20 second out of a song at the beginning so I can use it for my ring tone :) Would Garageband be enough for what I'm doing?

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Just select the song in iTunes, press Cmd+i (to get info) and under Options you can change the start time. From there, just change your import options to mp3 with a low(er) bit rate, and then (with the song still selected) under the Advanced menu select "Convert Selection to mp3." -This will create a separate audio file in mp3 format that you can use as a ring tone.

...Don't forget to change your song options and import preferences back to the originals!

Note: This will NOT work with songs purchased from the iTunes Store.

6. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

You can also do something like this in Quicktime, I believe. I seem to recall doing this at one point -- opening in QT, selecting the portion of the file I wanted, and simply doing a copy+paste into a new file.

7. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Using garageband for this is simple...

In garageband just add the file to a new project. Click the time bar above the track where you want to edit the song. Then go to Edit->Split. Now the 20 seconds you want to delete is its own piece in the track. Simply delete that piece and move the part you want to keep to the beginning of the track so it starts at time zero. To finish, go to Share->Send Song to iTunes. Now your ringer will be in iTunes as an AIFF file. You probably need to make it an MP3 to use on your phone so just convert it and you are all set.

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy