cross compatible iChatAV video (Mac-PC, PC-Mac)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mac24/7, Jan 8, 2007.

?

I want iChatAV to be able to do video with PC users too.

1. I want iChatAV to be able to do video with PC users too.

91.7%
  2. I have no need for iChatAV to be cross compatible.

8.3%
  1. mac24/7 macrumors newbie

iChat AV

Are there other folks out there who would benefit from iChatAV becoming cross platform for video conferencing with PC users webcams?

I feel like I've exhausted every avenue trying to find a solution to this problem, and I've come to the conclusion that not only does the mighty iChatAV not offer an all in one solution, but neither do any of the other players.

Skype seems like the best for free Audio/voice chatting sound quality...it's free to download and use. But as far as I know, it's only capable of PC to PC webcamming and on top of that it will do voice/audio simultaneously if PC to PC. No good for mac to PC/ PC to mac users.

At the moment, on the PC end, we're using Skype for audio/voice (clearer than phone quality) and Yahoo Messenger for the webcam video.
    The same software combo is used on the mac end of things. Yahoo messengers webcam video capabilities seem to give us a poor choppy slow refesh rate.....low FPS.

We tried using iChat for video & skype for audio on the mac end .....and AIM (AOL instant messenger) on the PC end with skype for audio... no luck! There's no button for allowing the PC end to view the macs iChat video. Only one end would receive video, and that was the mac end. The PC end would not show me that nice iChat AV video...nor audio.

I really wish Apple would come up with a fix for this, or release a cross compatible version of ichat AV for windows users, preferably one that would allow an all in one solution on both ends...allowing the mac user to continue to use iChat to videoconference...with the majority of the computer using population in this world, and not crippling it to use only with fellow mac users.

Anyone else know of a good solution?
    just for the record, I'm a Mac...I'm not a PC.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'd like iChat for PC. Get aMSN or Mercury Messenger to get AV with MSN.

3. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

4. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

I was using ichat with an aim account, just last night along with isight to chat to a friend of mine who lives around 300 miles away. My friend was on his laptop PC with AIM. It works great.