Cross Dissolve problem in iMovie HD 6.0.2

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dhc, Jul 27, 2006.

1. dhc macrumors regular

When inserting a cross dissolve, I seem to be getting an 'audio ghosting' - IE a repeat of a snatch of audio from the outgoing track, during the cross fade. This was accompanied by some visual glitches for a while, but having followed the only advise I could find (uninstall the flip4mac beta plugin) this seems to be fixed, just leaving me with this audio anomaly...

Here's the odd thing - shortly after the Macbooks were released, a friend of mine let me have a play with his so I could get a feel for whether I was going to make an intel purchase. I was experimenting in iMovie, comparing it to my G5 iMac performance, and noted the problems with cross dissolves. Writing it off as just a temporary glitch, I went ahead and bought a Macbook Pro 1.8ghz, 1gb RAM. Strange then that the same issue should be apparent on my machine, but i can't find any record of this when searching online? Surely this can't just be limited to the machines I use..(maybe it's just the way I use them..or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places)

Not sure if this is a problem with the intel Macs, or this particular release of iMovie, or if I'm just unlucky, but if anyone has heard of this before, or can suggest a fix, It'd be much appreciated.

In the meantime, I'll keep editing the audio to remove the 'echo', but with a relatively large project ahead of me, I'm losing motivation:(

Thanks

dhc

2. dhc thread starter macrumors regular

not JUST cross dissolve problem..

Further to the above, it would appear that fade out also causes repetition of audio. This is nuts, and hugely frustrating, I'm having to correct just about every transition I lay down.
    I'm using iMovie HD 6.0.2 on a 1.8ghz Macbook pro with 1ghz RAM, running 10.4.6. I've repaired permisions and have no additional plug-ins installed.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour? can anyone please suggest a fix (other than make the jump to FCE - that seems like a costly, yet currently very tempting, solution..)

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I have the same problem... it means that the clip is at its end and its trying to end the transition... either cut the clips just a bit so that there is video left over to dissolve or try and lessen the dissolve speed (so its not so long)

4. afrocelt1121 macrumors newbie

Cross Dissolve Problem in iMovie HD 6.0.2

I'm not sure that is the problem. I am having the same problem with cross dissolves and fade-outs. I get random pieces of audio at full volume during the fades. I checked my clips to make sure there was enough video to do a cross dissolve or a fade out and there was plenty of clip left over. I'm trying to find out if this is a bug and if so, if there is a work around.

Stacy

5. dhc thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to drag this back up - but did you find a fix? I'm still struggling on with manual audio adjustments to correct the problem..

6. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

It not so much that your movie and clips have enough to go around its the actual fade and FULL clip in iteself. You see iMovie even though you splice a clip, still handles clip 1 as the WHOLE clip 1. Chances are that random audio is from part of your WHOLE clip 1 and not the part you spliced. Hence its not so much making sure you have enough video in your project but making sure you have enough video in clip one to satisfy it.

7. dhc thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, the audio certainly is a repeat of audio from clip 1.

I'm sorry, but flame me, call me stupid, whatever, I just can't get my head round this. I am really keen to resolve this problem. I've been using iMovie since its inception, but have never had this problem before. So, to put it in context (because reading back across my posts I might not have made it clear), here's an example of what's happening:

Clip 1 is a huge 0:44:18 seconds long.
    Clip 2 is 0:18:06 seconds long.

Between the two clips I have inserted a cross dissolve, duration 0:00:20

On playback, as the audio from clip 1 fades out (correctly) during the cross dissolve, there is a sudden, full volume repeat of a short audio 'burst' from clip 1.

I've increased/decreased the duration of the cross dissolve, but to no benefit.

If it makes any difference, the clips were imported separately into the clips pane.

TEXAS04 (or anyone) - what am I doing wrong here? I'd be relieved to know it was my ignorance that was the 'bug' in this situation, because it would be easily resolvable.

I can email an exported Mov file to demonstrate this further if anyone is interested.

This is not the only example I could have given - Please help!

8. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

No i dont mean to flame, just was trying to make myself clear, im sorry if I offended you in any way, didnt mean to at all. Just trying to get the problem righted.

Alright so now we have some info to work with. Have you spliced Clip 1 at all? If not than it is a "bug" so to speak. The trasistion is at the end and iMovie is gay like that so it doesnt take 10 frames from each clip, it is just gay lol. Go ahead and send me the clip, i'll look at it, and maybe even the 2 clips you want to put together and I'll see if i have any luck with my iMovie.

Next Fix: Re-import try again or take both clips out to another project, export each one individually as full quality, and than re import both of them into your original project. See if that helps... :rolleyes:
    orrr you could get FCE.... yeah its pricey but it may help.