Cross platform file splitters/joiners

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jamnabot, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Jamnabot macrumors newbie

I have sevral large DV files that I need to move to a PC at a different location. On hand I have a FAT formatted firewire drive, but obviously It can't store files larger than 2 gigs, so I'm looking for the fastest way of splitting these files into chunks, and then re-assembling them on a PC.

The options I see so far are using a compression tool which will split at the same time (stuffit, rar, or even zip) (but I'd rather not waste time compressing when it's not nessesary) or using a raw file splitter like Split&Concat, but I don't know if these are cross-platform, or what to use on the PC end to rejoin the files.

Does anyone have any suggestions on splitting files on a mac then joining them on a PC?

Thanks

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you add -0 (zero) to your zipsplit command line, it won't attempt to compress.

3. Jamnabot thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, it seems zipsplit can't actually split files, only separate the contents of a pre-made zip into smaller zips. IE: it'd work for a zipped folder containing lots of photos, but not a single file in a single zip.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There are size limits, yeah, I forgot about that. Bummer.

And you just jarred my memory of a tool that would help. The Java version of HJSplit works on the Mac, and there are native versions for Windows and a zillion other platforms.

5. Jamnabot thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah! HJSplit worked great, thanks. At least the test splits and joins on a mac did. I think it's fair to assume it'll work on the PC end too.

Cheers again

6. croshtique macrumors 6502

There's also an app called MacHacha that can join/split in a variety of formats (HJsplit etc.)

7. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

how about using 'split' and 'cat'? go to the command-line and use 'split' to split the file into many pieces. on the windows side, go get some gnu tools and 'cat' the files together.

the actual file size limit on fat and fat32 is 4gb.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

I think you are looking for "split"

Just your luck there is a program called "split" already on your mac that is made just for this purpose. The complement is called "cat", short for "concatinate", again already on your mac.

These are also available for free on the PC but you will have t go and get them.
    "cygwin" is a software system you can install on your PC that gives your PC are VERY "Darwin-like" interface. "split" comes along with the basic cygwin install. Installation is simply just click a link at Go to http://www.cygwin.com/ andf click to "install now" icon

It's good to have an identical command set on all the PC, Macintosh, Linux and Solaris systems I use.

9. missionman macrumors newbie

Exchanging files too big for fat32 between windows and mac osx

Good day gentlemen,

Recently the motherboard on my beloved macbook decided to blow up on me :eek: . However I was lucky enough that my Hard Drive was saved. I have (like the original poster of this thread) MANY files that are bigger than 4GB (max file size for fat32). Here are some of the methods I have tried, read and pick whichever one suits your case best.

1st
    Remove your Macbook (or whatever mac you have) Hard Drive and put it in a Hard drive enclosure (which can be readily bought from TigerDirect.ca or Bestbuy, or any computer store for that matter).

2nd
    Install the hard drive in that enclosure

Now here's where you have 2 choices

If you are wishing to copy your files onto a PC directly
    Install this program
    Code:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mediafour-MD80-E0WR-MacDrive-For-Windows/dp/B002L7HT7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1263446360&sr=8-1
    It's called MacDrive, the install is quite straight forward. Once this program is installed, restart your computer and activate the software.

Now at this point you should be able to view your Mac hard-drive on your PC (YES THAT'S NO TYPO!!) Now don't get to excited still some work to be done.
    You need to right-click on the folder within your mac hard drive which you wish to copy and unclick "Read-Only", and then click "apply". Therefore you have permission to copy the files and folders. make sure you say "yes" to doing this for all files within the folder, as well as it's subfolders

Now wait a while, cuz if your like me it may take some time for your computer to finish "applying attributes"

Now copy the files onto your PC desktop.

Alternatively,
    you can use Paragon's NTFS for mac
    Code:
    http://www.amazon.com/Paragon-Software-Group-NTFS-Mac/dp/B0027TY86E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1263446618&sr=1-1
    Which (ya you guessed it) allows you to see NTFS hard drives (such as my western digital passport) on my mac. However I will say that I found the first technique to be much easier to accomplish. But that's just my opinion

Hope it helps. PM me if you have any troubles

10. missionman macrumors newbie

Soo ya you don't need to split up your files to achieve what you wish to do. Because in my experience splitting all those files is a big hassle.