Cross Platform KVM--Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tarigaad, Nov 4, 2003.

1. tarigaad macrumors newbie

A big whud up to everyone.....

I am helping a friend who is in a market for a KVM. He has 2PCs and one Powerbook G4.
    I need one KVM (4 port) that will work both with his PCs and the Powerbook. After some research I came across this KVM (http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GCS84B)
    I believe I would also have to purchase this adapter for his Powerbook G4 (http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GCV160).
    I would prefer to use a PS2 mouse and keyboard (unless using it will not work for this setup). The monitor is a regular NEC monitor (PC DB15 pin connection) with possibility of upgrading to a LCD (non DVI) in the future. I have used this KVM before but for an all PC shop with great results.

My questions are as follows:

Will this setup work (I don't know the port naming convention, connections etc for the Powerbook)?

Is anyone out there using this or a similar setup?

Will the above KVM work or do I need a USB based KVM(Powerbook?)?

I know there are several other manufacturers that make cross-platform KVMs (Belkin linksys etc.)

Any recommendations/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

2. Alex Bischoff macrumors newbie

I don't think your setup (as it currently stands) would work since Macs can't natively accept PS2 inputs :-/. So, you'd most likely need a USB-based KVM. And, if you go that route, I'd recommend not buying one from IOGear since theirs only support 2-button USB mice.

Or, another thread that I came across suggested that you could try a PS2-based KVM but then just use a PS2-to-USB adapter to connect that to your Mac. I'm not sure whether that idea would work, but it sounds intriguing.

3. heljy macrumors member

4. Alex Bischoff macrumors newbie

So, you're using that across a PC & *book at the moment? If you happen to be using a multi-button mouse, does that KVM support more than 2 buttons?

5. heljy macrumors member

I used to use it with my iBook before I sold it, now ocassionaly i used it on my gf's PBook. I have yet to try it with a mulitbutton mouse, mine was a regular Microsoft Intellimouse with a scroll wheel. But I recently upgrade to a Logitech MX500. My WinPC detected it as a Logitech MX500, so I wouldnt think why the Mac wouldnt. I cant say for sure though because I havent tried it.

Belkin also have a DVI Version. I would think that would be more future proof since you can always have a DVI-to-VGA convertor for the current monitor. That is of course considering both your *Book and PC have DVI output.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

your question is easily answered:

http://www.connectpro.com/kvm_switch_usb.htm

I heard there are issue with quality and screen compatibility with the iogear setups. The best option is these kvm's. They are design specifically for cross plateform compatibility between MAC and PC, there is even a model for windows, mac, sun, and hpux. What more could you ask for?

7. heljy macrumors member

I tried it on the powerbook and it works like a charm. But I need to have the Logitech Control Center installed first though.

After which, I can use all the buttons as if the mouse is directly connected to the PB.

So all in all, the belking KVM totally works for me, hope that helps.

8. KershMan macrumors 6502

I use an IOGear 2 port, PS2 based KVM at work to go between my PowerBook and my Dell PC. I also use a Belkin adapter to from PS2 to USB.

I don't have any problems. Works as intended.

The only real problem is the Dell monitor looks like crap to the native LCD on the PowerBook!! Need to get a flat-panel at work.